Thread: Veneer bleeding over binding

Veneer bleeding over binding

I have a body with a gorgeous quilted veneer with binding around the edge. When i was preparing the body for finishing (some coats of thinned BLO then Tru-oil on top) I made an effort to remover any veneer from the binding to make it as clean as possible.

Two coats in, the veneer has swelled (I think) and is now covering the binding in some spots again. As per the second picture, the veneer isn't covering the binding everywhere, you can see some of the clean binding and it looks so good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bleeding edge 1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	38910 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bleeding edge 2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	430.8 KB 
ID:	38911

What's the best way to clean this up? Just keep sanding, through the finish around the binding, through the veneer and then refinish?

Run a scalpel along the inner edge of the binding?
    Col.

I admit that I am an agent of Satan, however, my duties are largely ceremonial.

\m/

The first thing to do is to go into a guitar shop and look equally closely at their stock...

But I wonder if this is a grain raising type phenomenon, in which case if you take it back again it will probably go for ever. But that's a complete guess.
    Last edited by JimC; 30-01-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

The first thing to do is to go into a guitar shop and look equally closely at their stock...
    Too true. There are a heap of little things (imperfections) on factory produced guitars that would likely go unnoticed until we start building our own and tend to become microscopically critical with our work.

After I started spraying my finishes with a gun, I became super critical of my results because I couldn't (still can't) lay down a clearcoat perfectly flat (ie: zero orange peel).
    Suddenly my eyes became near obsessively focused on paint jobs on cars in carparks. It was then I started to see brand new automobiles that had noticeable orange peel. Not horrible mind you, but it was there, and I began to feel less crappy about the quality of my own work. I guess taking comfort in knowing it's not just me, and maybe I don't totally suck after all . (still working on that last part btw)

I don't recall seeing this issue on my PRS-1TS kit, but looking at it, I'd think some careful scraping or sanding would clean it up. I do know I sanded the join between the veneer and binding well before I applied alcohol based dye, but I'm sure it was just me being thorough, not trying to fix anything. FWIW, my top coat is Tru Oil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Binding 1k.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	38992
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...