Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frankencaster

Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    While I haven’t put anything up for a while, I have been doing things. I had been waiting for some things to come in..namely, my topcoat and some retarder and the spray gun kit I ordered. The spray kit is apparently in Australia but tracking doesn’t seem to be working properly, so I’m hoping it will turn up next week.

In the meantime, I have worked on the neck, fitting my bling, which is epoxied at the front and screwed in from the back. It won’t be going anywhere. I’ve also installed the tuners. I haven’t set the heights properly yet (they are variable height) to get my break angle over the neck properly done.

The neck is looking like this.

Attachment 40060

And the tuners specifically like this

Attachment 40061

In the meantime, I had another can of the colourshift paint, so I decided to give it another coat to do a richer finish.

It now looks like this.

Attachment 40062

Except for the tiny detail that, it dropped onto the floor (and some pedals stored on the floor, conveniently directly under the drying guitar).

The result was this.

Attachment 40063

Soo.....damn.

I have more of the base coat and will order another can of the colourshift. That will take 10 days or so to get here, so...when the body is properly dry, I will sand back the affected areas and reapply the black base coat....then spray and spray again to go back to what it should look like.

I’m pretty happy with the colour now though, so I have something to aim for.

Still upside down photos. I keep rotating and rotating them in edit mode and they still come out upside down! Wtf is going wrong.

Anyway, I guess that is the least of my problems today.

I guess it is another chance to get things right.....
    feckity feck feck feck. That’s gotta give you the screaming irrits. Such is home luthiery. Sad face/angry face.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

2. Liked by: Eponymous

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Oh man, just when things were going well .... that's usualy the way. Until you have that clear on and cured you have to be so so careful, because base coat is fragile. Once the clear is on the colour shift effect and pearl/metallic will realy pop. Pics of bare base never do the finished effect justice. It's gunna look killer when it's done!

Look on the bright side, when House of Kolor first introduced colour shift paint (they called it kamelion kolor), it was a grand a litre!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I’ve ordered the new paint. Hopefully it will turn up during the week so I can sand back and fix it next weekend.

Having just revisited it, the damage isn’t so bad and should only take 1 can of the colourshift paint and some sanding to fix because it is only a small area. Should only set me back a week or so.

I am really looking forward to getting to the polyurethane clear coat to see how it really looks under clear to prove your theory, rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    feckity feck feck feck. That’s gotta give you the screaming irrits. Such is home luthiery. Sad face/angry face.
    If it wasn’t for you and McCreed, some days, FW, I might have taken up knitting instead. Good advice and the occasional “I have so been there, it isn’t so bad” comments have made the setbacks seem minor.

Stick with luthiery, I have knitted. Guitars are far less an issue if you stuff up a paint coat, than if you snag a skein or drop a couple of stitches. Especially If you didn’t notice the drop at the time.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

6. Liked by: Eponymous

Just walking into the workroom and seeing the light fall on the guitar like this

Attachment 40070

Maybe this will work out.the colourshift is certainly working.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F05C8C38-F8FD-4BC0-9EEA-434A6A0FF10E.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	40071  

Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Maybe this will work out.the colourshift is certainly working.
    Yeh, you can see the pink in the light and brown in the shade. Trust me, the effect will be more dramatic when you get the clear on. You will have more depth, of it's a pearl shift the pearl effect will be more visible, if it's a flake colour shift, the flake will pop more, and assuming it's a gloss clear you are using there is also the way the light plays off the shine. To give you an idea, check out some of the Createx YouTube vids. they often show you examples of different basses before and after clear.

9. Liked by: Eponymous

The repair

After a week down south, I’m back to start the repair job..well...finish, maybe.

After the drop incident, I sanded back the affected areas, put some wood filler in to bring it level, then sanded back and painted the black base coat.

It looks like this.

Attachment 40283

I have a new topcoat can and hopefully, it will all blend in...maybe.

Should have that finished this afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12CCD04E-3508-47BF-9A0E-5881095F6542.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	40288  

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good

So, painting is now done. You can still see the back repair but the front seems to be relatively ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	155ACD24-F4AC-4279-A56C-F3908DAB5FBC.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	40289

The back was a smaller repair area but it still shows up. Mostly, it will be covered by the backplate for the neck screws (and it is also the back, so meh), so I am going to leave it as it is.

Will be using spray polyurethane on Wednesday. Aiming for about 6 coats..that is going to take me into the weekend.

Name:	5568F356-F256-4480-8A3A-7BB55B29C339.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	40290

But, it looks ok, to my eye.

Looks ok to my eyes, too

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

13. Liked by: Eponymous

First clearcoat

The topcoat is a bit uneven, where I had to sand back and respray but it looks ok.

Using a water based polyurethane clear coat with a spray gun.

This is coat number 1.

Name:	2D4DDFA9-DD71-4862-8C23-DF5BF47F0320.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	406.6 KB 
ID:	40332

Name:	01ACCB28-2E39-4DC6-A235-7C35A34DD1EE.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	340.4 KB 
ID:	40333

A couple of small runs on the back, which I will remove shortly with a sharp knife, and a second clearcoat later this afternoon.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast