Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frankencaster

Drilling...no turning back????

I drilled the holes for the bridge. I remeasured the scale length and made sure the holes were at the right place before drilling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D556FCF8-1B48-4EEB-A7A8-14B3A16920FC.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	455.6 KB 
ID:	39222

When the bridge is in place I made sure the bass e string saddle was in full rear position and treble e string saddle in full forward position.

Like this.

Name:	D7CB312D-8F58-450A-9F8E-6B7B03FCA193.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	39223

With the bridge saddles in those positions, I measured with a micrometer, the distance from scale line to each saddle position. The bass e string was 4.4 mm back from scale line. The treble e string was 4.2 mm forward of scale line. Pretty centred, basically.

I also found my drill press isn’t big enough to take the body to drill string through holes. I am thinking about getting a drill guide

Like this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Milescra...-/383552479358

Not sure if URL’s work.

At least that can keep me drilling straight.

It also helps that I have another fender bridge, which I could use if the travel on the gotoh bridge isn’t enough. This is what that looks like

Name:	990FE392-7094-4107-AE3D-837C126D3C4F.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	438.4 KB 
ID:	39224

But I think over 4mm either way should be enough.

Since no more drilling able to be done today, might finish off recrowning frets after levelling.
    Last edited by Eponymous; 14-02-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Sounds like you're making steady progress and things are all lining up well now.

I also found my drill press isn’t big enough to take the body to drill string through holes. I am thinking about getting a drill guide.
    At least a couple of members have used those kind of drill jigs successfully, and there a more than a few DIY options (here and on YT). Since you have a drill press, making a drill guide block would be very doable for you.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

3. Liked by: Eponymous

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Sounds like you're making steady progress and things are all lining up well now.

At least a couple of members have used those kind of drill jigs successfully, and there a more than a few DIY options (here and on YT). Since you have a drill press, making a drill guide block would be very doable for you.
    I’d be making my own guide block. The drill guide you’ve linked seems good, but my experience of these was rather poor. Setting angles is “close” in terms of accuracy, setting up to do a line of holes is bothersome unless you mount it to a separate base and reposition the work piece for each hole, which in itself can introduce some deviation even if you are being fastidious.
    the version I bought from Carbatech also suffered from induced angle caused by the weight of the cordless drill attached to it.
    The version in your link seems slightly beefier than the ones I have seen and used, but I would still harbour doubts about it.
    You’ve got a drill press, grab some Aluminium plate or some solid hard wood and make a drill guide.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

5. Liked by: Eponymous

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’d be making my own guide block.
    You’ve got a drill press, grab some Aluminium plate or some solid hard wood and make a drill guide.
    That sounds like a great idea. Looks like my trip to bunnings is back on!

Thanks, Frankenwashie and McCreed!

Great first-hand advice there from FW.
    I've never used one of those kind of drill guides. I wasn't aware of their shortcomings. Good to know. Seems the DIY guide block is the way to go! Let us know how you go.

Seems the DIY guide block is the way to go! Let us know how you go.
    I will. Your input has been really helpful!

Over thinking? Maybe...over engineering...nah.

This is my thinking for setting up a drill jig for the string through holes.

Have bought a rectangular aluminium tube. 20mm x 40mm

Name:	62D3E299-692D-43FA-8720-6203CF4EEC8F.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	39269

Like this.

Drill my 6 string through holes in the 40mm (the longer side...so actually through the 20 mm side but 40mm deep...does that make sense?) using the drill press, so nice and vertical..and clamp it and the body together and drill the body (using the handheld drill through the jig) about half way.

Drill through the 6 string through holes using the drill press in the 20mm ( so 20 mm depth but the holes will be on the 40mm side but the shallower depth)and then drill with handheld and narrow side jig to get the holes close to the back of the body (but not all the way through).

Drill the outside holes gently, all the way through, flip the guitar body over.

Use dowel to locate the 2 outside holes to the 20 mm side holes and drill through the other 4, using the short side jig.

Next step is to drill out the 6 holes on the 20 mm side of the jig to the string ferrule width and hand drill the body again, starting from the outside (then using thicker dowels to secure the jig) and drill out all ferrules.

I will do photos so this makes more sense when I drill tomorrow.

Easy...right?

Tomorrow’s job.

The aluminium tube cost $9, instead of fancy drill guides.

Winning!
    Last edited by Eponymous; 19-02-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Most jigs I've seen are simply made out of a block of hardwood, and since you have a drill press, making an accurate jig should be easy. I had a hard time following your written process, but I'm tired and maybe a bit slow...

There are probably a dozen ways to accomplish the same thing. However, the part about drilling the two outside holes all the way through and using those to set the jig is the way to go.

Following this as I’m about to attempt something similar - except that I don’t have a drill press!

My plan was to use a drill guide and follow the steps like this guy:

https://youtu.be/pLCYA8FijhA

But I might take a half way house approach and make a jig with the drill guide. I can then check everything is straight and true in the guide before I let it loose on the body.

I had a hard time following your written process, but I'm tired and maybe a bit slow... However, the part about drilling the two outside holes all the way through and using those to set the jig is the way to go.
    Here is one of the things I haven’t said but have thought. I don’t know if this will be my first guitar build or my only. I am totally my own worst critic. I can potentially make the world’s second best guitar.., distinguished from the worlds best guitar by only 1 minor flaw...all I will ever see on that guitar, is the flaw. It is who I am.

So, I want this to be as close to perfect as I can. That being said, I have spent this whole week researching what I can do and what I can get to make this jig. I think I have worked it out but I have probably over thought it.

A picture is worth a thousand words, as the saying goes and, in my mind, I have stepped this process out, so, when you see the pictures tomorrow, i think it will all become clear. What I hav written above is the process I have in my mind but the pictures will show the detail.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast