Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frankencaster

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I bought a set of these for Experiment #8. I'm looking forward to getting to the pointy, soldery plug it in and hear her ROAR end of things. Possibly a bit far afield for your needs GMan, but I've had nothing but good reports on Mr Glynn's.

Do you mean the Lindy Fralin’s or the analogman, FW?

Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Do you mean the Lindy Fralin’s or the analogman, FW?
    Sorry mate, the 'These' in my post was a link to the Mr Glynn's pickups page for his hot tele set, called 'Cruel Mistress'. full link below

“Cruel Mistress” -hot Tele set - Mr Glyn's Pickups
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Sorry mate, the 'These' in my post was a link to the Mr Glynn's pickups page for his hot tele set, called 'Cruel Mistress'. full link below

Whoops...didn’t notice it was a link, FW. They do look very, very nice and sound awesome. I would be really interested in your views. What are experiments 1-7 fitted with and, of those, which ones do you rate?

They sound great!

Whoops...didn’t notice it was a link, FW. They do look very, very nice and sound awesome. I would be really interested in your views. What are experiments 1-7 fitted with and, of those, which ones do you rate?
    Experiment #1: The Actual FrankenWashie, Washburn MG42 neck, lab built Ibanez soloist style body - Entwistle X3 HBs
    - good crisp response, break up very nicely and get dirty if pushed. Good tone in both modes. Great value for money.

Experiment #2: FrankenWashie’s monster, 28.5” baritone neck through - Lace Dissonant Aggressors
    - DEVASTATION in a pickup. They are monstrous in output and push great tone.

Experiment #3: scarf neck experiment, never saw a guitar.

Experiment #4: scratch built PRS chambered body, blackbutt cap. Laminated NZ beech scarf joint neck 25.5”Not yet complete.

Experiment #5: Strat style neck, with ironwood fretboard, currently awaiting completion with the Torched start body. This one is going to get some custom wound S/C in a 1/4 pounder style.

Experiment #6: Ibanez JS 140 eBay buy, fitted Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups.
    Absolutely Ball Tearing metal pickups, crisp clean tones, Overdrive it or push signal through a distortion pedal, and the demons come out. Not for the faint of heart. You may find yourself spontaneously acquiring dark velvet overcoat, studded choker, and emigrating to the wilds of Norway or Sweden to film yourself shredding in a Snow blown forest.

Experiment #7: Fishman style piezo setup, destined for ES-V bargain basement arch top. Not yet fitted because I have a couple of small things to get finished first.....like building the bridge, making the scratch plate, drilling the headstock. Should also probably put the back plate back on it....after I’ve carved it.
    FrankenLab

Experiment #1: The Actual FrankenWashie, Washburn MG42 neck, lab built Ibanez soloist style body - Entwistle X3 HBs
    - good crisp response, break up very nicely and get dirty if pushed. Good tone in both modes. Great value for money.

Experiment #2: FrankenWashie’s monster, 28.5” baritone neck through - Lace Dissonant Aggressors
    - DEVASTATION in a pickup. They are monstrous in output and push great tone.

Experiment #3: scarf neck experiment, never saw a guitar.

Experiment #4: scratch built PRS chambered body, blackbutt cap. Laminated NZ beech scarf joint neck 25.5”Not yet complete.

Experiment #5: Strat style neck, with ironwood fretboard, currently awaiting completion with the Torched start body. This one is going to get some custom wound S/C in a 1/4 pounder style.

Experiment #6: Ibanez JS 140 eBay buy, fitted Seymour Duncan Black Winter pickups.
    Absolutely Ball Tearing metal pickups, crisp clean tones, Overdrive it or push signal through a distortion pedal, and the demons come out. Not for the faint of heart. You may find yourself spontaneously acquiring dark velvet overcoat, studded choker, and emigrating to the wilds of Norway or Sweden to film yourself shredding in a Snow blown forest.

Experiment #7: Fishman style piezo setup, destined for ES-V bargain basement arch top. Not yet fitted because I have a couple of small things to get finished first.....like building the bridge, making the scratch plate, drilling the headstock. Should also probably put the back plate back on it....after I’ve carved it.
    That is quite the portfolio, FW.

Respect

That is quite the portfolio, FW.

Respect
    Cheers mate, there's a couple of builds taken place in between or along side the experiments. Like maybe 8 or 9 or so?
    FrankenLab

8. Liked by: Eponymous

Topcat...no...top coat

I decided to live with the grain and do the topcoat today. Those of you who have been playing along at home will remember I am doing a colourchange paint, a’ la silver sky nebula.

He we are before the start

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5DB17AB-FCAB-48BA-BF13-E01ADAA8C3E3.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	39662

Just a black primer.

After the first coat.

Name:	1653CD19-25A6-4039-9FDA-23A27F05B7C7.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	39663

Not much colour, to be honest.

Due to the limit on photos per post...I will cut to the chase

Name:	CA699697-C387-4861-B3EF-176CA32B20C1.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	244.0 KB 
ID:	39664

Name:	B3A2A134-8745-41D9-87BC-FEA2C95A5B49.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	39665

And a few more

Name:	CED062F5-E13F-44C4-AD6A-9CDAA2ED0CF8.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	39666

Name:	52585C84-0E96-4C0B-B1B3-582FFDB45B6C.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	39667

Well. The colour change works. Not sure whether to get another can and do a few more coats.

Not exactly how I envisaged it but still a pretty good result.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast