Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Build GR-1SF

Help!!!

After staining and applying two coats of wipe-on-poly I glued on the neck. So far so good.

However, while applying the third coat I saw a tiny gap between the back and the binding (see Pic). It seems as if the top wood of the ply (not sure whether this is the right way to say that) came off.

It seems as if the glue dissolved a little bit, although this wasn't one of the spots I treated with acetone.

I am not quite sure what to do now. Maybe the finish will cover the gap eventually? Or should I try to get some glue in there? If glue, which kind of glue would you suggest?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Markus

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

What’s happened here? Has a wood layer separated? Has the binding separated from the wood? Whatever has happened, if there is any movement in the wood/binding I’d be tempted to get some super glue in there before you go any further. Towards the end of my GR-1SF I discovered a soft spot in the side wall of the body. Several injections with super glue fixed the problem with sanding and subsequently poly layers hiding the damage. I’d want to nip this problem in the bud, just try not to make a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    What’s happened here? Has a wood layer separated? Has the binding separated from the wood? Whatever has happened, if there is any movement in the wood/binding I’d be tempted to get some super glue in there before you go any further. Towards the end of my GR-1SF I discovered a soft spot in the side wall of the body. Several injections with super glue fixed the problem with sanding and subsequently poly layers hiding the damage. I’d want to nip this problem in the bud, just try not to make a mess.
    Thanks for the quick response, DarkMark. I am not sure what happened. The binding seems pretty solid, so maybe a wood layer has separated? There is not a lot of movement, not even half a mm I'd say. I try to get some super glue in there and press it down. Hope it works. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Super Glue worked. Thanks for the tip. On with the poly.

Thank goodness. Offering advice can be daunting at times. The soft spot in mine kept causing splits in the poly before I fixed it. You’ll be happy you’ve fixed it at this stage and not having to address the issue later down the track.

So after around 25 coats of clou wipe on poly, I started level sanding and polishing the back. It is not perfect, but I can live with this.

Unfortunately, I also managed to put a Ding in the neck after applying the poly coats. So I had to fill the Ding with glue and level sanded it. It worked actually really well, the Ding is almost invisible, but I managed to sand through the poly next to the ding. Well, I guess one has to make mistakes to learn. But why so maaany...

Anyway, here's a Pic of the polished back. Still need to do the sides and the front.

Cheers , Markus

That's looking nice.
    It's good to read that you've overcome each little hurdle that's come along. Sometimes that's was building is... a steady progression of problem solving!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks, the learning curve is quite steep

Something I again experienced during fret leveling. I noticed that some of the frets were a little proud, so I gave them a gentle hammer treatment, than started leveling.

Everything seemed to work well at first, but one of the frets was way lower than all the other and I had to take of quite a bit to get it level. Of course, the frets were then too low for my crowning file to get it evenly round. Out with the three corner file - never used it before for frets but it seems to have worked OK.

Since I didn't want to start another potentially frustrating job (electric wiring) I decided to lay out the hardware. Now I need to decide whether I want the black or golden pickup rings. Any thoughts?

I like the black ones. 👍
    Cliff

I'm with cliff. Black ones. Better contrast.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast