Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Air brushes and compressors

Air brushes and compressors

I don't really know much about these things, other than I want them, and that they can cost a lot.

I'm keen for something kinda multipurpose, but spraying bursts is immediate desire. I won't be creating any detailes artworks, but I'm sure my son would like to borrow it for model kit painting.

Can I get good results with a cheapo from the big green shed?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Well you *could* get something from the big green shed, or Supercheap, and it will kinda work for a burst. But....it will be short lived, cantankerous to use, and limited. A decent brush makes a *WORLD of difference, and yeh, a decent one is fairly expensive.The difference in ease of operation and versatility is like night and day. However, there are a few budget models that will work as a middle ground. Most fine work is done with a 0.2 or 0.3mm tip, however you can pick up an Iwata Neo 0.5mm at a pretty reasonable price. Maybe checkout some place like Airbrush Megastore.

How far you travel down the air brush rabbit hole is entirely dependent on the size of your wallet.

Once you have selected your air brush you will need a compressor that can keep up the air supply at volumes that the air brush consumes. To get consistent results a water separator and pressure regulator are highly recommended.

In my case I have a 60y old 1hp motor belt driven compressor feeding 100psi at up to 8L/min into a 60L tank that is also fitted with a water drain valve on the bottom. (Over time water will build up in the tank as it is compressed out of the sucked in air) This gives me between 75psi and 100psi as the compressor cuts in and out and a sizeable reserve. Off that tank an air line goes to my water separator and pressure regulator combo device which gives me consistent 30psi dry air at up to 10L/min to my air brush. Most air brushes only require about 20psi to 30psi to function comfortably and correctly, however depending on the specific air brush or spray gun the volume of air consumed in L/min will vary greatly.

Thanks Marcel and Rabbit. It sure does sound like a rabbit hole.

I might ask around to borrow one, otherwise it's sounding like rattle cans are in my immediate future.

For just a burst, you can go low rent with a single action venturi air brush, and they usually come with an adaptor that you can connect to a car inner tube. It's still advisable to put some sort of filter in the air line. With one of these brushes you can get a cone of about an inch and a half. My first air brush was one of these and I was able to spray a lot of different paints through it. They are no good for fine work, but great for coverage, and would be a better option than a spray can IMO.

I'm guessing Rabbit and Marcel probably have more experience than I do on this subject and agree that, generally speaking, is probably one area not to cheap-out. However, having said that, it's exactly what I did a couple of years ago .

I bought a $40 kit off ebay just to see if an airbrush was going to suit my needs. I already had a full-size gun and compressor so figured if the cheapie worked conceptually, I would upgrade to a more exy unit. Well... I still have the cheapie! (and continue to use it)

I mainly used it for spraying poly on necks which has worked out great, and it's perfect when spot repairs are necessary.
    Whether it's a cheap or expensive unit, thorough cleaning and maintenance is key to making it last.

The airbrush I got is a knock-off of a Sparmax (who make budget and top-line gear). I bought a couple sets of Sparmax o-ring kits and it's continued to serve me well. As far as I can see, the o-rings are the only area that has needed attention. I think that is due to the numerous disassembly and reassembly that comes with cleaning after each use.

I can't offer any advice on the mini compressors as I already had a large one in my shop. When I spray poly (thinned) I'm only running the nozzle pressure at about 18 psi with a .5mm nozzle. Works for me.

In summary, I'll just say that I took a punt on a budget one and it's been fine.

EDIT:
    A few months ago I bought a Star HVLP touch-up gun with a .5mm nozzle and it worked great on the couple of necks I was doing.
    Definitely better than little airbrush, but I have still used the airbrush since and have no plan to get rid of it, as there will come a time again when it is perfectly appropriate for the job.
    Last edited by McCreed; 17-01-2021 at 07:25 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Whether it's a cheap or expensive unit, thorough cleaning and maintenance is key to making it last..
    +1 on that ! Nothing kills a brush faster than not cleaning it out properly, especially if you run 2 pack epoxy primer through it!

Just finished watching a couple of Youtube vids linked in the Pit bull build guide about doing a burst. He uses an Iwata similar to mine, but reckons a cheapo from Bunnings is fine. Interestingly he is using the same paint range as me, only I'm clearing with a water based urethane rather than a solvent based acrylic.

9. Liked by: dozymuppet

I've got a cheapie which I connect to my spray gun / air tool compressor that is set up similar to Marcel's, seems to work OK but the skill level of the operator needs some work.

As noted above, meticulous cleaning of any spray equipment is essential.

High pressure air is dangerous so be careful

Thanks all. Feels like I should also consider what else I would use an air compressor for, as separate to how much I should invest in an airbrush.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast