Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Air brushes and compressors

You can pick up an compressor for under $150 that will do the job. Don't expect to be able to use it for air tools or an HVLP gun, but for an air brush or touch up gun, or even a conventional full gun (if you are patient), it will work. Because I had to move and now live in a 2 bedroom villa, I had to retire my 3hp 100l beast, but the the little 20l 2hp compressor is working just great with an air brush and a 1mm touch up gun. Just have to make sure that you have a water trap/regulator on the compressor, and a water trap/filter (these are pretty cheap) on the end of your air hose. most of the 20l and above compressors from Bunnings or Supercheap come with a regulator /water trap.

Alternatively you could probably get something used from Fleabay or Gumtree. If you are going to be doing a few of these guitars, it's probably worth the investment.

2. Liked by: dozymuppet

I'm exploring the idea of investing in a spray gun, and would appreciate some advice, as I'm as confused as anything with all the terms.

StewMac sell a basic gun that gets reasonably good reviews. I would have thought something similar would be available in Australia without needing to pay for shipping from the US. I can find plenty of LVLP guns on Ebay that look to be a similar build to the StewMac gun at around the same price. They also seem to be described as touch up guns. Is that the sort of thing I should be looking for? Also, it sounds like I wouldn't need to go overboard with a compressor for an LVLP gun - there are plenty available on marketplace at a good price.

I am completely uneducated on spray painting. Is it worth getting into for the occasional guitar build and other hobby projects, or should I persevere with rattle cans?

Hi Jon.

I only started using a gun & compressor 2 years ago, so I'm far far far from an expert, however I posed the same question here back in January 2019 and got some helpful advice.

I have linked that thread HERE.
    Hopefully there's something there for you for now.

Dinner is on, so I'll come back to this later and give more detail on the gear I have acquired since then, and happy to share what little insight I've gained in that time .
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks McCreed, I'd certainly like to hear more about what you've learnt over the last couple of years.

It looks like Phrozin's favourite guns are both HVLP. I get the impression that a compressor to suit an HVLP gun is going to be expensive, and take up a lost of space for something that I don't use that frequently. I was hoping a touch up gun and a small compressor was a viable option, really.

OK, part 2...

The first gun I bought was a cheapie from eBay (basically the same as THIS ONE - except mine $34 at the time).
    It actually works just fine and I have only used the 1.4mm nozzle with acrylic lacquer. I would say that technique/experience has probably been the a bigger factor of performance/result then the gun itself.

My second purchase was a small airbrush (also a cheapie from eBay) with the intention of using it for touch ups or small things like headstocks as I thought the "big" gun was overkill and can take more time to clean than to spray a touch up etc. This actually has turned out to be very useful and works very well despite it's $39 price tag, and I don't see the need to repalce it unless it completely craps itself. Mine is dual-action and gravity or suction, which I recommend in an airbrush kit.

My rationale for buying "budget" gear was not wanting to lay out too much if the results didn't prove to be any better than I was gettting with rattle cans, and if it all worked out, I would just upgrade to better quality equipment. What I can confidently say now is that I won't be going back to spray cans.

The last gun I bought is a proper touch up gun (HVLP) so it's bigger than the airbrush and smaller than the 1.4-2.0mm gun. This is what I've used on my last two necks and it's perfect with a .8mm nozzle. I think this will be my first choice on my next build for body and neck.
    This is the model and retailer I bought it from: Star 106TG-2.

It's not a Devilbiss or other higher quality brand, but it gets good ratings and suits my needs perfectly. If I was spraying car panels (or guitars) every day, maybe not, but that's not the case. One thing I'll definitely recommend is, if going for a touch up gun, be sure to get one with individually adjustable air and fluid flow.

The main drawback I've found with the no-name cheapie stuff is replacement parts (specifically o-rings). At least Star is a big manufacturer and spares are easily acquired.

Between the 3 type of guns I have I'm pretty sure I could do whatever is needed now. My compressor is a Blackridge (Supercheap) 2.5HP, Belt-Driven, 50L tank, 155L/min. So far I haven't had any problems (2 yrs) and it's reasonably quiet. Probably more than I need but I got a good deal on it and better to have too much than not enough!

If you do end up getting something, I recommend experimenting and practising as much as you can before applying to your first guitar body. Spraying for practise isn't cheap with the cost of paint, but it's the only way to learn, or at least get some feel for how things work.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    Thanks McCreed, I'd certainly like to hear more about what you've learnt over the last couple of years.

It looks like Phrozin's favourite guns are both HVLP. I get the impression that a compressor to suit an HVLP gun is going to be expensive, and take up a lost of space for something that I don't use that frequently. I was hoping a touch up gun and a small compressor was a viable option, really.
    Just saw this after posting "War & Peace" above...

You might find a small direct drive compressor that would be suitable for a reasonable price. They're a bit noisy, but you only need 18-30 PSI (consistant) for an HVLP. I think I was running my mini HVLP at 18 PSI for spraying poly last time.

Thanks McCreed, that gives me food for thought. It sounds like an HVLP touch up gun is the way to go. I think I might keep an eye out for a good used compressor. My next build is a JRM-1DC, and I'm thinking of finishing in gloss black acrylic lacquer, but there's really no hurry. I'm also thinking of winding the P90 myself, so I think this will be a slow build!

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    . It's not a Devilbiss or other higher quality brand, but it gets good ratings and suits my needs perfectly. If I was spraying car panels (or guitars) every day, maybe not, but that's not the case. One thing I'll definitely recommend is, if going for a touch up gun, be sure to get one with individually adjustable air and fluid flow.
    I have 2 star touch up guns (one for base and one for clear) I've had them for several years and before I moved and was using a 3HP 100l compressor, I was using them probably more then the full sized guns for everything from computer cases to motor bike helmets and even plastic bumper bars. I'd describe them as cheap and cheerful. With my current 2hp 30l compressor, they still work just fine.

. Between the 3 type of guns I have I'm pretty sure I could do whatever is needed now. My compressor is a Blackridge (Supercheap) 2.5HP, Belt-Driven, 50L tank, 155L/min. So far I haven't had any problems (2 yrs) and it's reasonably quiet. Probably more than I need but I got a good deal on it and better to have too much than not enough!
    That gear will do just fine for spraying... air tools that will run for any length of time are pretty limited, but theses days cordless tools have replaced most of the air tools. Respraying a car with that lot is possible, but you have to get your timing right so you don't over tax it.. the duty cycle running a full sized gun can be a killer.

re: Star guns, yeah, I'm very happy with mine. I may not have given it a glowing review in my remarks above but I think "good quality withouth breaking the bank" fits. Like the Squier Classic Vibe of spray guns!

As for my compressor, it's only requirement is spraying guitars and blowing dust off of and out of stuff! So it suits my needs easily, and I don't even own any air tools.

Cheers

The last gun I bought is a proper touch up gun (HVLP) so it's bigger than the airbrush and smaller than the 1.4-2.0mm gun. This is what I've used on my last two necks and it's perfect with a .8mm nozzle. I think this will be my first choice on my next build for body and neck.
    This is the model and retailer I bought it from: Star 106TG-2.
    Well, after keeping an eye on FB marketplace and EBay, I ended up buying a 2.5HP / 24L direct drive compressor from Sydney Tools for $90. There were quite a few decent looking units on FB, but I got tired of being dicked around by idiots.

I've also just received a Star gun from Wholesale paints. Mine is a S-106T 08G, but it's an S Type general purpose gun (with a plain chrome air cap) rather than an HVLP with the green cap. Did I get the wrong thing?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast