Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Air brushes and compressors

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    Well, after keeping an eye on FB marketplace and EBay, I ended up buying a 2.5HP / 24L direct drive compressor from Sydney Tools for $90. There were quite a few decent looking units on FB, but I got tired of being dicked around by idiots.

I've also just received a Star gun from Wholesale paints. Mine is a S-106T 08G, but it's an S Type general purpose gun (with a plain chrome air cap) rather than an HVLP with the green cap. Did I get the wrong thing?
    Yeh, with that compressor you need a conventional gun. HVLP needs massive ammounts of air flow to work properly..

I use a similar one (standard mini gun with 0.8mm nozzle) and it's fine. I also recently bought the HVLP version of mine, but I haven't really noticed a lot of difference in performance.

OK, thanks guys. I'm still a bit lost on all this stuff!

I'm going to get some practice in before I go anywhere near a guitar with it. In the first place, I think I'll be spraying water onto cardboard to get a feel for using the gun, then I have some speakers that I veneered a number of years ago, and didn't do a very good job on, so I want to strip them back and paint them white. We'll see how I get on.

The viscosity of the paint makes a big difference to how it sprays and you'll need to experiment with the air pressure, paint flow rate and nozzle pattern settings, so you'll want to experiment with paint on cardboard before starting on your speakers.

Don't forget to always wear a spray mask.

5. Liked by: Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The viscosity of the paint makes a big difference to how it sprays and you'll need to experiment with the air pressure, paint flow rate and nozzle pattern settings, so you'll want to experiment with paint on cardboard before starting on your speakers.

Don't forget to always wear a spray mask.
    What he said! Hehe. Even if you are spraying with fairly non toxic water borne paints, you don't wanna be breathing in pigments.

I sprayed my tele with nitro from rattle cans, and got a decent mask then. I’m also thinking I might get a cheapie toilet tent to use as a spray booth, and try to keep bugs of my work.

I had a play with water today just to get a feel for the gun and the controls. I’m going to pay Supercheap Auto a visit this weekend to get some primer, gloss white base, and some clear. Thanks for the advice re paint on cardboard - I think that’ll be my next stop.

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll post anyway

I couldn't find the S-106T 08G listed at Wholesale Paints, but saw it elsewhere. Apart from the green air cap, it physically appears to be the same as my S-106TG-2, but there are minor differences in the specs listed for each.

With my meagre spray gun knowledge, I think it will do what you need it to just fine with the compressor you got. I'm assuming it's the Lincoln L224 24L 2HP advertised at Sydney Tools. (the only one I saw at that price and size)
    The air displacement of that compressor is slightly under what the gun specifies (5.26cfm vs. 5.5cfm) but shouldn't be an issue if your only running about 26-28 psi at the nozzle.

I haven't used my mini-gun with lacquer, only poly. FWIW I run 60/40 poly/turps at 18 psi and it performs great. I decrease the fluid flow by 1- 1/2 turns, and air flow decreased 1-1/4 turns. Of course everything is subject to change depending on lots of variables, but that's where I start.
    My larger gun with the 1.4mm nozzle is what I have used for acrylic lacquer and tend to run that at 26 psi, full air and -1/2 turn fluid.

All the above are why some practise (with paint) is a really good idea. My settings are just that. YMMV.

Have fun!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll post anyway

I couldn't find the S-106T 08G listed at Wholesale Paints, but saw it elsewhere. Apart from the green air cap, it physically appears to be the same as my S-106TG-2, but there are minor differences in the specs listed for each.

With my meagre spray gun knowledge, I think it will do what you need it to just fine with the compressor you got. I'm assuming it's the Lincoln L224 24L 2HP advertised at Sydney Tools. (the only one I saw at that price and size)
    The air displacement of that compressor is slightly under what the gun specifies (5.26cfm vs. 5.5cfm) but shouldn't be an issue if your only running about 26-28 psi at the nozzle.

I haven't used my mini-gun with lacquer, only poly. FWIW I run 60/40 poly/turps at 18 psi and it performs great. I decrease the fluid flow by 1- 1/2 turns, and air flow decreased 1-1/4 turns. Of course everything is subject to change depending on lots of variables, but that's where I start.
    My larger gun with the 1.4mm nozzle is what I have used for acrylic lacquer and tend to run that at 26 psi, full air and -1/2 turn fluid.

All the above are why some practise (with paint) is a really good idea. My settings are just that. YMMV.

Have fun!
    I think my two Star minis are 106Js, so 1mm tip.I kinda like to have separate clear and base coat guns, but that's just me. I find the mini gun easier to use than a full size gun on on something like a guitar. With solvent based paint I generally use lower pressure than with water borne because you need higher atomisation with water bornes.

Edit: Oh yeh, pay attention to the breather hole in the top of the cap, and make sure that's clear of dried paint and crap. It will cause spitting if blocked, or maybe no paint flow at all.
    Last edited by Rabbit; 03-06-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Edit: Oh yeh, pay attention to the breather hole in the top of the cap, and make sure that's clear of dried paint and crap. It will cause spitting if blocked, or maybe no paint flow at all.
    Good tip rabbit! Learnt that the hard way!
    Something so simple can lead to so much grief.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Good tip rabbit! Learnt that the hard way!
    Something so simple can lead to so much grief.
    Hehe especially if all your coats are spot on and you need to do just one more coat for coverage or the finish you are after!

Other things to be aware of , particularly with the smaller 0.8mm tip is tip dry, where paint dries and builds up around the fluid nozzle, and eventually spits onto your job in a big clump,and build up around the side air nozzles. (yeh, been bit by those too).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast