Thread: My first build - GR-1SF

My first build - GR-1SF

Hi all,

I was given an amazing kit as a uni graduation present from my wife and kids and I am about to embark on my first ever guitar build. She nailed the selection by choosing the GR-1SF kit and now the pressure is on me to build it and do it justice.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Kris

Welcome Kris,
    What a great present! Best of luck for the build.
    How do you intend to finish it?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Hi Trevor

Thanks for the well-wishes. I am pretty sure I will need them. I had all of the materials out today and rebagged them in labelled bags to make the job seem less daunting.

I am thinking I will finish it in the Dingo Butterscotch... I am slightly concerned about the whole mention of 30 coats in the manual though. I guess I will play it by ear as it goes ahead. I am not going to go too crazy on my first build.

Hi Kris,

I'm about halfway through my first kit. Best advice I can give you is take your time. If you need to do something which you're not sure how to do, ask here or google it. I've made a few mistakes with my paint job which, if I had researched first and took my time, I probably could have avoided.

Take photos of every step of the build (before and after) and post them here. Others may spot an issue which you could have missed.

Its good fun, and even though he wife hates all the sandpaper around the house, i'm loving seeing my build come together.

Good luck!

Thanks Marty,

I just ordered all the glue, stains and oils, so very soon the sanding will start!

I am still too scared to have everything out of the box for too long to look at it.

Welcome aboard, Kris. I would echo Marty's advice about patience and taking plenty of time, but for questions and advice, I'd recommend this forum. The amount of knowledge, talent, and creativity is just amazing. Whereas, if you appeal to Google, I've found that you'll find 15 ways to do everything. I just get more confused. Good luck.

Welcome Kris.
    That's an ambitious build for a first. I'm not not saying that in a negative way, more of in admiration .
    There are quite a few here that have done hollow bodies, so you'll have a good source of knowledge and experience to draw from.

I have not built that kit, but have worked on enough hollow and semi-hollows that I can offer other technical advice if/when you need it.
    Look forward to watching your progress!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...