Thread: Ground noise

Ground noise

Hi there, I did all the work on my guitar but I wasn't able to get rid of the ground noise, I have to put a wire from the bridge, it worked a little but the guitar still has a noise, I don't know if the black paint on the bridge function like a kind of isolated field, do you guys know something about it?? it would be much appreciate it any help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	805.4 KB 
ID:	38736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	657.8 KB 
ID:	38737  

I've read that the black paint is non-conductive so will need to be scratched off. Otherwise the bridge/strings won't be grounded.
    Someone else will hopefully confirm this.

Graham

As Graham has said, there are known issues with conductivity of the black hardware.
    I don't have first-hand experience with it as I'm not a fan of black hardware, but one of the most common first steps is to remove some paint from the bush for the stoptail that has contact with ground wire.

If you have a multimeter, use it to check continuity across all metal hardware and strings. You can then remove more paint from contact points as needed.
    Another area to look at are the grooves in the saddles. Those can be cleaned up with the folded edge of some fine grade sandpaper (like 1200). This will allow you to remove the paint but minimise the amount of material from the saddle itself.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Actually just doing my first build today, the ESPM-1 Explorer, it has a black bridge and i checked continuity before installing and it was very poor, so even if you scrape paint off the bridge plug, you will still not have a great connection unless you start scraping paint from all the contact parts.... these kits are fairly decent quality for the price, but it is a very poor effort having non conductive paint on parts that need conductivity.

How did you rectify the buzzing?