Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavey 410TX Bass Cab.

Peavey 410TX Bass Cab.

Hey Everyone,

Thought that I would start a thread about my Peavey 410TX Bass Cab in the amp section.

Anyway, according to guy I bought the cab off of, he reckons I've got it fully paid-off, I've had a good look at the cab and from what I can determine only one of the original speakers is fully functional, the other three read open-circuit on my digital multimeter, so I'm going to have to buy four new replacements in order to get the cab working, and usable again, all the original acoustic dampening material needs removing and replacing cause it doesn't half pong, had to spray the insides with some air-freshener to make it bearable....but I digress...

Ok, so the original speakers are 10 inchers, I need four new replacements, from reading the back panel, the speaker cab is designed to handle at least 350 Watts RMS if my memory is correct, I'll have to check that.

Some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	38640

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	38641

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 3_resized.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	38642

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 5_resized.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	38643

One forum member has suggested that the Eminence Legend B102 could be a good replacement speaker for the originals, I just wished that Peavey had the foresight to print the make and model-number of the original speakers on the back of them, would have been so helpful when choosing the right replacement.

So, why am I interested in replacing all four of the original speakers?, I have a mid-70's Fender Super Twin amp which just happens to work really well as a Bass amp, the guy who sold it to me used it as a Bass amp for years and he told me that it worked great, I recently did a recording-session out at a mate's place, and the guy who sold the Super Twin to me, plugged his Fender P-Bass into it and used it for the recording session, sounded really good, I'm interested in using my Peavey 410TX Bass cab with my Super Twin amp so that I've got a good bass rig for recording or doing live gigs, I have a feeling that the Super Twin and the Peavey 410TX will sound really good together, once the cab is all sorted, so there's a good project for me to work-on in 2021, I may even look at building a solid-state Bass amp out of some bits and pieces I have in my studio room, there's a circuit board from an old Peavey TKO 80 non-eq Bass amp combo that has a good sounding preamp in it, I just need to ditch the 30 Watt power amp section and substitute a more powerful power amp circuit board, and then mount the lot, plus a power supply in a nice 19 inch rackmount case, and then I'll be in business.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 31-12-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Speakers in cabs from major manufacturers are often custom models, not something available off the shelf, so may well only be available from the original vendor. Apparently the original driver in that cab was a Sheffield TVX 1035. I would doubt its available. Its not listed on the Peavey Web site.

A cab doesn't intrinsically have a power rating, so you don't need to be concerned about that.

It would be useful to know whether the tweeter and crossover are functional, although TBH given the hard life this cab has obviously lived it might be safer to assume that they are scrap.

I'd be inclined to ask Eminence directly about good driver replacements, it was a common enough box back in the day. Or you could join Talkbass and ask. Is it a sealed cabinet rather than ported? If so driver choice is a bit less critical, you just need to measure up the cabinet volume and find something recommended for that region.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Speakers in cabs from major manufacturers are often custom models, not something available off the shelf, so may well only be available from the original vendor. Apparently the original driver in that cab was a Sheffield TVX 1035. I would doubt its available. Its not listed on the Peavey Web site.

A cab doesn't intrinsically have a power rating, so you don't need to be concerned about that.

It would be useful to know whether the tweeter and crossover are functional, although TBH given the hard life this cab has obviously lived it might be safer to assume that they are scrap.

I'd be inclined to ask Eminence directly about good driver replacements, it was a common enough box back in the day. Or you could join Talkbass and ask. Is it a sealed cabinet rather than ported? If so driver choice is a bit less critical, you just need to measure up the cabinet volume and find something recommended for that region.

The Peavey 410TX cab I have does have a port on the back of it, as can be seen in the pics I've posted, to be honest, I haven't checked the tweeter to see if it is functional, I read in one of the Talkbass forum threads that the cab doesn't sound that great with the tweeter engaged, in the same Talkbass forum thread, the Eminence Legend was mentioned as a possible replacement (the thread starter was actually in the process of replacing speakers in their Peavey 410TX cab).

I'll have to measure the inside dimensions of the cab, and yeah I agree, it looks like it has had a pretty hard life, I'm suspecting that at some stage it probably got some mud inside it, it definitely looks like it wasn't very well looked-after that's for sure.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 31-12-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Ah, didn't realise that was a port. I thought it was just a removed connection plate. How I managed to think that with the real plate alongside in the same photo will have to remain one of life's mysteries...
    I'd take the tweeter criticism with a pinch of salt, there's a vociferous anti tweeter lobby in the bass fraternity. Equally though I wouldn't bother fitting a tweeter to a bass cab unless I actually found a need for one after running without. I saw the TB thread you mention, but I'd seek a recommendation from Eminence by preference. With a single round port it's fairly easy to alter port tuning, more especially if shorter is required [grin] but it's all hassle and measurement, so unless that sort of thing fascinates you...
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Probably me who suggested the Legend BP102s, 4 of them will be good for 800W RMS.

I prefer 10s for bass because they can be nice and tight but still thump.

I have a couple of 4 ohm 102s that are basically unused that I'm thinking of unloading but freight to Darwin from The Gong could be really ugly

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Ah, didn't realise that was a port. I thought it was just a removed connection plate. How I managed to think that with the real plate alongside in the same photo will have to remain one of life's mysteries...
    I'd take the tweeter criticism with a pinch of salt, there's a vociferous anti tweeter lobby in the bass fraternity. Equally though I wouldn't bother fitting a tweeter to a bass cab unless I actually found a need for one after running without. I saw the TB thread you mention, but I'd seek a recommendation from Eminence by preference. With a single round port it's fairly easy to alter port tuning, more especially if shorter is required [grin] but it's all hassle and measurement, so unless that sort of thing fascinates you...

Ah no worries, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the cab working and usable again, even if it means doing some complicated maths, since as it just so happens...I like a challenge, and, I might even learn some new and useful skills in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    Probably me who suggested the Legend BP102s, 4 of them will be good for 800W RMS.

I prefer 10s for bass because they can be nice and tight but still thump.

I have a couple of 4 ohm 102s that are basically unused that I'm thinking of unloading but freight to Darwin from The Gong could be really ugly
    I did find one website that had them in stock, but the problem was that they only had two of them, looks like I'll have to do some serious googling for other suppliers, I tried Evatco and they didn't have any in stock whatsoever, I like 10 inchers for Bass too, it means that the cab will be compact enough to put in a car, yet still deliver a good Bass sound.

I'm going to be wiring the 4 new speakers in a series-parallel configuration, so if I'm aiming for 8 Ohms total impedance then I need 4 X 8 Ohm speakers, although my Super Twin can work with a minimum of a 4 Ohm speaker load connected to it, the Super Twin would then be putting out it's maximum power at full volume, 180 Watts RMS or 395 Watts Peak (on instantaneous transients, like pick attacks), well that's my interpretation anyway.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 31-12-2020 at 06:16 PM.

With mobile phone apps and cheap reference microphones it's easier than it's ever been to do this stuff... I would start by measuring up the cab, port and existing speaker and using winisd to calculate the theoretical cab resonant frequency. That will help inform what might be good drivers and then you can model them.

Then I'd make up a rig for measuring impedance curves. You only really need couple of resistors, a phone, an amp and a multimeter. How tos are available on line. If you can do it accurately enough to get actual reliable measurements so much the better, but even a qualitative curve is useful. Then of course the use of a frequency response chart is obvious. The fly in the ointment is that a perfectly flat frequency response may not give a musically desirable response. I recall the surprise I got when I discovered my favourite sounding bass amp had a hpf and was rolling off low frequencies from about 80hz.

Where the experience comes in is knowing what to target for... I made a little ported 1x10 for Simon to match a high end Celestion driver that looked nice on paper, but was horribly boomy in the room. He ended up converting it to sealed. But I used the same design cab with a pair of S/H eminences for a pa rig, and although it didn't look as good to me on paper, when I used them as PA at a little local session I stopped bothering to bring a bass rig and just put my bass in the PA with the vocals. So clearly my idea of what a good bass rig should look like on paper was a mile out!

You know, if you are buying new drivers, there's a lot to be said for 32ohm ones in a 4x10... The other big decision is neo or old school magnets. I treated myself to a neo driver in my lightweight 1x15 bass cab when I got a tax refund and its wonderful. But your Peavey cab is by all accounts rather solid, and they may not make such a difference.
    Last edited by JimC; 01-01-2021 at 02:45 AM.
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    I did find one website that had them in stock, but the problem was that they only had two of them, looks like I'll have to do some serious googling for other suppliers, I tried Evatco and they didn't have any in stock whatsoever, I like 10 inchers for Bass too, it means that the cab will be compact enough to put in a car, yet still deliver a good Bass sound.

I'm going to be wiring the 4 new speakers in a series-parallel configuration, so if I'm aiming for 8 Ohms total impedance then I need 4 X 8 Ohm speakers, although my Super Twin can work with a minimum of a 4 Ohm speaker load connected to it, the Super Twin would then be putting out it's maximum power at full volume, 180 Watts RMS or 395 Watts Peak (on instantaneous transients, like pick attacks), well that's my interpretation anyway.
    If you do find a place that has 2, give me a yell and we'll see what we can work out.

I'll probably unload my H||H IC-100S head as well I don't need an amp that big any more

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    If you do find a place that has 2, give me a yell and we'll see what we can work out.

I'll probably unload my H||H IC-100S head as well I don't need an amp that big any more
    I am definitely interested in the H&H IC-100S head for sure if it's in reasonably good working condition, or if it needs some servicing which I may be able to do myself, how much would you want for it?, and yeah I'll definitely let you know if I manage to find two of those 4 Ohm Eminence Legend BP102s.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 01-01-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast