Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavey 410TX Bass Cab.

The BP102 is an 8 ohm speaker as were the Alphas.

I bought the speakers and built the box for my H||H amp because we were looking to do some gigs and then Bob became very ill so that was the end of the gigging plans and ultimately passed away in August 2020.

So now it is just recording with Julie & Max and I DI both guitar and bass because I have no suitable space to mic an amp of any size.

I'm away from home at the moment on grandchild duty while my son works night shift but will take some pics and post them in the next day or so

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    I wonder why those Eminence Legend BP102s seem to be so popular all the time?, and why they seem to be so hard to get?
    I am not sure, but I can guess. Partly I think you answered your own question. They're popular all the time. If I am guessing, looking at their power handling, high xmax, roll off is pretty good, reasonable price...and they sound both in bass cabs and in PA systems. I am guessing it's always one of the best sellers for Eminence for bass. Plus they're hard to blow up.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that the "shortage" has to do with Covid. They are in Kentucky which has 6 of the top 10 counties by percentage for Covid Cases in the US. Covid has also directly and indirectly created a nationwide shortage of truck drivers, which is causing slowdowns in deliveries all over the USA. One or both things could be causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I am not sure, but I can guess. Partly I think you answered your own question. They're popular all the time. If I am guessing, looking at their power handling, high xmax, roll off is pretty good, reasonable price...and they sound both in bass cabs and in PA systems. I am guessing it's always one of the best sellers for Eminence for bass. Plus they're hard to blow up.

I don't know for a fact, but I suspect that the "shortage" has to do with Covid. They are in Kentucky which has 6 of the top 10 counties by percentage for Covid Cases in the US. Covid has also directly and indirectly created a nationwide shortage of truck drivers, which is causing slowdowns in deliveries all over the USA. One or both things could be causing the problem.

I reckon you're right.

The good news is that they are really popular so Eminence will make more of them ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    The good news is that they are really popular so Eminence will make more of them ;-)

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for them.

The only one's I have seen in AUS are here:

https://thespeakerfactory.com.au/col...?constraint=10

...but they only seem to have the 4 ohm models in stock.

A few places are starting to have the 8 ohm models in the USA again, I don't know how much the shipping is, but the US price is US$80-100 is enough less that it might be worth it, although you couldn't use the Dave King bargain basement speakers with them...

https://www.adorama.com/emlegndbp102...-gbase-p-audio

Update:

Okay, since it's going to prove a bit difficult to source four new Eminence BP102 speaker as replacements for the originals, I'm going to see if I can fix the three open-circuit original speakers, so they work again, I did notice that the reason why three of the original speakers were open-circuit was because the braiding connecting the voice-coils to the terminals was corroded, so, my theory is this......if I replace the original braiding with some new braiding or some flexible wire, that may get the three open-circuit speakers working again, but that's a job for tomorrow.

Next week, I'm going to see if I can buy some rolls of this stuff from my local Jaycar Electronics store, as replacement for the original dampening material, which was dirty and really rank-smelling:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/650gsm-acr...ing%20Material
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 03-02-2023 at 06:11 PM.

Update:

Okay, so I've figured-out how to fix the three faulty original speakers that came out of my Peavey 410TX Bass cab, here's the method I figured out:

Step 1: Check to see if the voice-coil itself for continuity using my multimeter, if it shows about 6 Ohms of resistance proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Check to see if there's any coil-rub, if not proceed to step 3.

Step 3: De-solder the old copper braid from the terminals and use solderwick to remove all the old solder.

Step 4: Carefully remove the dust-cap from the speaker.

Step 5: Carefully scrape the lacquer off the two voice-coil solder joints and tin with solder.

Step 6: Carefully solder two pieces of new copper braid to the voice-coil solder joints after making two small holes near them in the speaker cone.

Step 7: Thread the copper braiding through the small holes in the speaker cone and solder the end to the voice-coil solder-joints.

Step 8: Solder the other end of the copper braid to it's respective solder joint.

Step 9: Once both pieces of copper braid have been soldered to their terminal, check to see if the speaker now shows a resistance reading of about 6 Ohms, if so proceed to step 10.

Step 10: check to see if the speaker produces sound by connecting the Function Generator to the terminals, if the speaker produces sound, then it is successfully fixed, glue the dust cap back in place.

Update:

Well, I think I got lucky, all four of the original speakers from my Peavey 410TX cab are now working and are making sound when I test them with my Function Generator, one of them was actually okay and didn't need any repair work, two of them needed replacement copper braiding to connect the voice-coil to the terminals, and one of them just needed the existing copper braiding re-soldered to the terminals, so, I stand a good chance of restoring the 410TX cab back to fully-working condition for use with my Super Twin amp.

I am really impressed that you got the speakers working. That's awesome! Looking at this prompted me to take a look back through this thread. Hopefully you've cured the problem and it will sound great. If it doesn't...it's probably worth mentioning that these speakers, at least used ones, seem to be relatively available on ebay and maybe elsewhere. It was rightly identified as a "Peavey Sheffield," but that may be a little misleading since there are several different model numbers. The only one that I could find T/S specs for was the one that Jim found (a model 1035). If it were me, I'd try to find a Model 121, which is what you have.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast