Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd build: AIB-1Q

3rd build: AIB-1Q

After a little bit of analysis paralysis, I settled on the new AIB kit for my next build, as an out-and-out shredder for my small collection.

I'm looking at the S6521Q for some inspiration, though it's unlikely I'll go with that colour-scheme.

Upgraded to black nickel Grover locking tuners, and will look to upgrade the bridge and pickups.

I'm on the lookout for an after-market gibralter or hipshot-type bridge for palm-muting ergonomics, and something appropriately metal for the pickups. Thinking the Entwistle Dark Stars might fit the shredder bill. Or maybe the HVXes.

My first reaction to your inspiration link was, “That’s an interesting shade of blue.” Then had a closer look. Curious to see how you finish this.

Been looking for a string-through replacement bridge, and ordered this musiclily one from amazon.

Slight scratch on the top of the rear, but for $16 delivered, in less than 24 hours (!), I'm not complaining.

I've got a couple of other $12 options en route via AliExpress as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I could see my new kit was taking some interesting detours through parcel tracking, and somehow auspost rerouted it through Sydney to get back to me in Perth... It arrived just within my time tolerance, and I'm glad I had my other project to distract me in the meantime.

When it finally did arrive, it looked like this:

I was expecting something to have gone bad, but to my surprise, everything made it through in tact.

The Entwistle Dark Stars were a separate order (which arrived well before the kit, despite being dispatched after it), and there are a couple of other bits I ordered elsewhere, including a Graph Tech Black Tusq nut for PRS/Ibanez guitars.

I also upgraded to black nickel Grovers, but I'm kinda regretting that because it will be tricky to match all the other hardware.

I've got a few things to think about before starting in ernest, such as working with a veneer top for the first time, and converting it to a string-through body. Also, as reported by someone else with this kit, I'll need to drill through access to the output whole.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with what I've got to work with, and excited to get started.

Friday arvo, I had a panoramic view of an Aussie Postie come trudging to my front door with a large box.
    (I was a tad curious as there was no expected large deliveries).
    He didn't bother ringing the door-bell just casually dumped the box...beeped his hand held gadget and trudged off to his van.

Noted the box was addressed to the house 2 doors up, so I had to put my thongs on and finish the delivery myself.
    Where's my Cartier watch AP?

cheers, Mark.

Crikey, don't tell me you had to put your thongs on mate! What is the world coming to?

Turning my attention to this project now, I've finally got the headstock in a place where I'm happy to proceed. It was touch and go there for a while, and I almost thought about gluing on some extra wood to give me more room to work with (I'm not ready for the king casey treatment yet...).

The kit headstock ^^^ is quite different, and if someone wanted to make it look like "another brand", they would find it very difficult/impossible to do with what they have to work with. Eventually I found a few angles that I definitely won't hate looking at over and over again. Not heaps of distance from the edge for the high E tuner, but it will be OK.

A little bit of finessing to do with sandpaper, but the tension this was causing me has dissipated.

Glad the contents were not damaged. I said "Oh-no!" out loud when I saw the box photo!

I've been tempted by that kit, but wish it came with a paddle headstock. I'm not a fan of pointy.
    Is that body arched or flat on top?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

A 3+3 headstock wouldn't go astray either, but that's not the "style" of this kit.

The body is slightly arched, but it's flat in the right spots, through the pickups and bridge.

The body is slightly arched, but it's flat in the right spots, through the pickups and bridge.
    Thanks. That's good to know. I still have one eye on the possibilities of that kit. Definitely has to be a string-through for me too.
    I think I could round off all those pointy bits enough that it could make me happy.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast