Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd build: AIB-1Q

Cheers for the "tip"

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

You should be able to get replacement/alternative tips for it. The tip should be held on by the knurled ring just below it. A larger tip would make it easier to do pots. So it might be worth contacting Jaycar to see if they offer any. Otherwise you could try removing the tip, measuring the size of the tip that fits into the iron and seeing if you can find suitable alternatives on eBay or Amazon (often a package of mixed tip sizes).

Obviously you need to wait until the iron cools down before changing tips, so sometime it pays to have another cheap large tip iron on the go as well as your current one, for doing the heavier duty soldering applications like pot backs and trem claw ground wires etc.

Hi Dozy,
    that iron should be fine. The needle tip can work well for soldering to the back of the pots, just make sure you place the edge of the tip (a large area) flat to the back of the pot.
    I concur with Trev that that unit has plenty of juice, and whilst you can sufficiently heat up a pot casing with the conical tip (needle) a chisel tip will do it nearly instantly.

I have the next model up (also Jaycar) and they do make a replacement chisel for it, but it's only 2.5mm wide. Whilst it does work better than the conical, wider is better but unfortunately they don't stock anything wider.
    Soooooo... I make my own 4mm chisel tip by filing a conical one. Takes less than 3 minutes with a file. The tips are made of a really soft alloy (of which I think copper is one element).

I haven't tried any other manufacturer's tips to see if they can be retrofitted, but that may be an option. I've had this soldering station for about 12 years and it's still going strong. I have had to replace the pencil part once.

OH!!! File the tip when it's COLD!

My Duratech Soldering Station
    Last edited by McCreed; 04-07-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It's like I don't even want to finish this project...

Carving out a signature style with the wrong tools, looking to experiment with "Easy Inlay" crystal calcite.

This is either going to end up awesome, or a catastrophe. I don't think there is middle ground.

I can only hope.

" looking to experiment with "Easy Inlay" crystal calcite."

Lol, I also checked out the "easy inlay" crystals at Timbecon and came away with some gold foil for a future guitar project. Also interested to add flair to my wood turning.

I will also try putting my logo onto a circular mat of white calcite crystals.

I hope it goes well Dozy!
    Last edited by Trevor Davies; 17-07-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I was pretty keen on the other versions, but $35 for 2g was a hard sell, so I went for the crystal instead for now.

Edit: Not a recreational drug deal ^

Watching this with interest. I didn’t realise there were inlay products available to do this. I’ve got an upcoming trip to timbercon so I’ll check that out. Good signature design and placement.

Thanks Mark

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast