Thread: DHB-4 Bass String Through Bridge

DHB-4 Bass String Through Bridge

HI! I just started a Hollow Bass kit from Pitbull Guitars and I am not sure how to install the bridge. I was given string furrels but I'm not sure which way to install them and how.

The bridge is a 'floating' bridge, so just sits on top of the guitar and is held in place by string pressure. If you find it moves about once you've positioned it for location and intonation, then there are ways to pin it in position, but I'd try it as it is first.

There should be two sets of string anchor ferrules. The longer ones go in the back, the shorter ones in the front. They should be just wide enough to be held in place without gluing. Put a piece of wood over the top and (fairly) gently hammer them into position. The wood should be large enough to hold easily and reduce the risk of the hammer missing and you hitting the body with it. Don't ever hit the ferrules directly with a hammer (unless it's got a soft brass or plastic face to it). You can also use a hardwood dowel that's small enough to fit inside the ferrule if you want. Mask off around the area with cardboard when installing to reduce any damage due to misses. Better safe than sorry.

The rear ferrules will get pulled and held in place by string tension, so it's really only the top ones that you may need to think about smearing some Titebond around the edges of when installing.