Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello from California!

Hello from California!

Hello! I bought a kit for my 13 year old daughter for Christmas. She has been playing guitar for a year or so now, but wanted to paint her own guitar, so here we are. I'm looking forward to helping her work through the build.

crobird

Welcome crobird.
    Lots of good folks on here with good advice. A good idea is to start a new thread in the "My Build Diary" forum. You can document your progress and as well as any questions you need to get through the build process.
    All the best with your build.

- Mick

edit:
    What kit did you get her?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Got her the AIB-1Q kit. She has a small Fender and likes that style. Her plan is to paint an octopus on it.

I'm going to look over some of the other threads to pick up tips on finishing.

Sounds cool. Should have got her an eight string!!!
    Lots of alternative finishes have been done here, from fabric covered to hand painted or airbrush artwork. Look forward to seeing what she comes up with.

I'm also thinking about building an AIB-1Q. Any pictures of what you get in the box would be appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crobird View Post
    Got her the AIB-1Q kit. She has a small Fender and likes that style. Her plan is to paint an octopus on it.

I'm going to look over some of the other threads to pick up tips on finishing.
    Welcome Crobird, I’m contemplating doing a 3/4 ST Jr for my daughter, so I’ll be following your build with interest.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I've added some pictures of the kit to an album: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1Z5n8hH4GSp9tr

Everything looks to be in good condition and like we have all of the parts. The only thing I see is the output hold doesn't connect to the cavity for the electronics, so I think I need to drill that connection. I've marked the spot where I think I need to do this in one of the pictures.

I'm not the handiest of dudes, so this will be a bit of an adventure. I've tried to find other people's threads for this guitar, but I'm guessing it's a new offering, since I don't see any other ones. Either that or I'm bad at searching through the forums. 😀

It is a new offering, but the search function is not that great anyway...

Thanks for the pics.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Welcome! Nice to have another builder from the US. I lived in CA for 7 years before moving to Miami. Long enough here for my daughter to start talking about wanting an electric. She did the headstock decal for my last build. Will be watching yours with great interest ;-)

The only thing I see is the output hole doesn't connect to the cavity for the electronics, so I think I need to drill that connection.
    Wow, that's a first! Haven't seen that before.

Can you estimate how much deeper the hole needs to go to get through to the cavity?
    I only ask as there are few solutions I can think of depending on how much wood you need to pass through.

I'm guessing you don't have a 22mm auger bit or Forstner bit on hand?

edit:
    BTW I'm only guessing on the diameter. It may be less than 22mm but is certainly larger than your average home handyman drill bit set would contain.
    Last edited by McCreed; 28-12-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast