Thread: IB-5 pickups...how to tell the difference

IB-5 pickups...how to tell the difference

New to the forum and new to pitbull. Just got my IB-5 bass and it looks great. Everything is accounted for. The only question I have so far is how do I tell which pickup is which? All the wires appear the same and the lengths are equal as well. Any help would be fantastic. Cheers!
    -Rich

Sometimes the bridge pickup is a bit wider to match the wider string spacing, but I’ve not made one of these so I don’t know for sure.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

The wiring diagram for the IB-5 shows red covered wires from the bridge pickup, and yellow from the neck. Could that be it?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

The wiring diagram for the IB-5 shows red covered wires from the bridge pickup, and yellow from the neck. Could that be it?
    Unfortunately the wire colours vary greatly between PBG diagrams and the wire colour that ends up on the pickups.
    It seems to be more about what colours they have on hand at the factory on any given day.

If you have a multimeter, there may be a measurable difference in the pickups DC Resistance (DCR). Typically the higher DCR will be the bridge pickup, the lower for the neck pickup.

Edit to add:
    If you don't have a multimeter, and you plan on doing more kit builds or mods on your other guitars, they are a vital part of your tool kit.
    You'll also find you will use it for lots of non-guitar jobs (like testing batteries). You can spend as little as $10 (not recommended) to $100+
    but somewhere in middle ($30-$60) is fine for what most us do here.

If you live in AUS, Jaycar is just one many electronics suppliers that carry Digital Multimeters (CLICK)
    Last edited by McCreed; 26-12-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it. Been meaning to pick up a multimeter for sometime, and it looks like this project is the perfect opportunity to do so. I will try to keep this thread updated as I build this beast.

I will try to keep this thread updated as I build this beast.
    Probably better to start a new thread in the "My Build Diary" section. Look forward to seeing your project progress.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

You are absolutely correct. Thanks!!!

Took some advice here and got a multimeter. Was definitely the right move. I definitely know now which is which. Thank you all a ton!!!