Thread: First Build- Tele GTH-1

First Build- Tele GTH-1

Hi all,

My name is Ben, I just received my guitar kit recently, it will be the first build I have done. I decided to go with a telecaster style guitar with two humbuckers, as I have a guitar in mind that I am planning to model my build off of. I am planning to create a My Build Diary page, and hopefully I will remember to make posts for it.

I'm looking forward to the build and the step by step process of completing it, and working through any challenges that occur.

I noticed when I unpacked my kit, the neck didn't quite fit into the body pocket, I read on the instruction manual to sand the pocket to get it to fit, so I'm just looking for any advice anyone has for doing this, what grit sandpaper to use or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

As well, if anyone has any advice in general for the guitar building process, I would be glad to hear any.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201216_195315.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	414.5 KB 
ID:	38528  
    Last edited by BenWill; 22-12-2020 at 04:39 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Hi Ben,

Welcome aboard. Always best to let the kit acclimatise for a few days after transport as different temperatures and humidity will cause the wood to expand and contract at different rates. You might find the fit is OK after it's settled.

If not just some light sanding on the sides of the heel with 240-320 grit and a flat block will do it. Just do it in small increments. It can also be worth seeing how the radius on the neck is fitting into the radius in the pocket as sometimes that needs a bit of a tidy up.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Welcome aboard Ben, pretty much follow Sonics advice. Sand both sides of the neck so that the neck is still centred in the pocket and aim for a nice tight fit.

Good luck with the build.

rob

I’d be surprised that the neck doesn’t fit. As Sonic said, a few days’ acclimatising can make a big difference. Also note that the neck has to be pushed down into the pocket, rather than slotted in from the end. You wouldn’t be the first one caught out by that.

Welcome Ben. I have just finished one of those guitars. I’m really happy with. Dang heavy beast though. I’m shopping for a wide, padded strap.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck