Thread: AG neck Fit problems

AG neck Fit problems

Set neck...
    If i set it in all the way the pickup and ring assembly wont fit, if i pull it out enough to get the pickup ring in the distance from 12th fret to bridge is now too far away..
    Cutting the ring is not and option because its off that bad.
    Any ideas? I just got this kit a week ago...
    Thanks

Here isClick image for larger version. 

Name:	pic.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	38491 a pic

Position the neck so that there’s just the smallest ledge there on the neck side for the pickup ring to rest on. Maybe 0.5mm, no more.

The neck should now be in just the right position.

You can lay/tape the bridge in position, or wrap tape around the threaded bridge posts to get them centred in the post holes and measure with a metal ruler (avoid flexible rules if possible) from the treble E string slot to the treble E saddle with the saddle wound almost all the way forwards. You are looking for 24.75”, but when intonated, the saddle will sit a bit further back than that by 1-1.5mm. If there still looks to be a big difference, then take some photos and post them here (resize them to a max of 1500 pixels on the longest side and compress if necessary until just under 1MB in size, or host elsewhere and link).

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Ok first of all the neck position needs to be determined by measuring the scale length. The tang pretty much never gets pushed hard up against the pickup cavity.

So you want 628mm from the inside of the nut to the high E saddle on the bridge (don't measure to the 12th and then from 12th to the bridge, the fret placement is fine, the overall measurement is more accurate for this), with the intonation adjustment wound most of the way forward. You can wrap tape around the posts to temporarily install them without pushing the inserts in. This is also a good time to check neck alignment by temporarily installing the low and high E tuners and running some ordinary string down to the bridge. Make sure they run with an even gap down each side of the neck and you are all good.

Here's a pic of me doing that on an ES kit (Lying on the bench is better, this one had a really tight neck fit so it could sit in the stand)

You can see the neck tang stops short of the back of the neck pickup route.

Once you've done that, recheck the pickup ring. I've done one of these kits and it was fine, but you might have to slightly enlarge the route to shift the pickup down a bit to accommodate the ring.

This is definitely an issue on the EX kits, but first time I've seen it on an AG, so confirm the above and let us know how you go.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Managed to dig up my AG build

This is how the neck ended up in mine.

Also, just be careful when glueing and clamping, You want to make sure there is enough break angle on the neck. If you clamp too hard on the tang of the neck you can greatly reduce that angle which will cause action problems later. Good contact at the heel is the most important.

You can check the break angle with any straight edge like this with the neck clamped.

Different guitar in that pic, but same principle - you want room to have the bridge posts wound out a bit so the bridge sits up off the body.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Managed to dig up my AG build

This is how the neck ended up in mine.

Also, just be careful when glueing and clamping, You want to make sure there is enough break angle on the neck. If you clamp too hard on the tang of the neck you can greatly reduce that angle which will cause action problems later. Good contact at the heel is the most important.

You can check the break angle with any straight edge like this with the neck clamped.

Different guitar in that pic, but same principle - you want room to have the bridge posts wound out a bit so the bridge sits up off the body.

Thanks for the input, i may be ok but its gonna be close...