Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMS-4 Bass, third build

DMS-4 Bass, third build

Hi All,

Ran into a couple of problems.

First, the strings are wearing grooves in the frets really fast! An ideas on how to remedy this?

Second, I did the fret job, then tung oiled the fret board. I did not do a good clean and the dust from the fret board got into the grain. It left the fret board a dirty grey. Frustrating. My own fault. Any thoughts on a remedy?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMS-4 Photo2 resize.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	38486

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMS-4 Photo1 resize.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	38487

Body is not yet finished. I am going to try including an Arduino based tuner and paint it surf mist with matt clear.
    Last edited by Dwubyd; 20-12-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Well, short of refretting... Flat wound and even more so tapewound strings will wear the frets a lot less, but you do have to like the resulting sound.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Well, short of refretting... Flat wound and even more so tapewound strings will wear the frets a lot less, but you do have to like the resulting sound.
    And the price! Even with round wounds and 2 less strings than the guitar princesses we still get stung on string price. Both tape and flat wounds are even pricier than round wounds, but the sound is definitely a different experience.

I noticed that bass strings are more expensive, but some people run the same bass strings for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwubyd View Post
    I noticed that bass strings are more expensive, but some people run the same bass strings for decades.
    Guilty as charged.

What?... you're supposed to change them???????

Regards,
    Not A. Bassplayer

(that owns one bass)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwubyd View Post
    Aaaaand some people replace them after every gig ..........

I find roundwounds go off and lose their zing after a while, especially the bottom string, but tapewound don't have any brightness anyway. My first bass has tapewounds, and the current set have been on it since the late 70s or early 80s, but to be fair they've hardly been used for most of that time. I only bought my first ever set of flatwounds recently, so can't comment on those.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

...and the current set have been on it since the late 70s or early 80s...
    Well that makes me feel a whole lot better!!!

The strings on my one (short scale) bass are about a year old. Probably had about 2 hours total playing time and it's mostly just the E & A strings
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I find roundwounds go off and lose their zing after a while, especially the bottom string, but tapewound don't have any brightness anyway. My first bass has tapewounds, and the current set have been on it since the late 70s or early 80s, but to be fair they've hardly been used for most of that time. I only bought my first ever set of flatwounds recently, so can't comment on those.
    Funny you should say that, in an interview Steve Harris replied to:

"You use flatwound strings, and yet you’re known for a bright, trebly sound. It’s a bit of a contradiction."

with:

" It is. The unfortunate part is that I have to change strings every gig. It’s because I sweat so much onstage that they just go dead. That might happen with roundwounds as well, but having said that, the flatwounds also stop all the screeching when you’re playing quieter, slower stuff."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast