Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DMS-4 Bass, third build

Herbie Flowers (Sky, Space Oddity, Walk on the Wild Side, lots of etc) was one high profile user of the black tapewound Rotosound strings who kept them on for years at a time.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Herbie Flowers (Sky, Space Oddity, Walk on the Wild Side, lots of etc) was one high profile user of the black tapewound Rotosound strings who kept them on for years at a time.
    I think it's modern day consumerism that dictates how often guitar strings are changed.
    The same crowd that put a massive dollop of toothpaste on their brush every day.

cheers, Mark.

Oh, you had to bring up the big dollop of toothpaste thing! It makes me crazy. Some people think you have to put it on like in th adverts.

Bass player in Khrangbin never changes her strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwubyd View Post
    Oh, you had to bring up the big dollop of toothpaste thing! It makes me crazy. Some people think you have to put it on like in th adverts.

Bass player in Khrangbin never changes her strings.
    ...and she plays an SX bass. The only thing she says she's changed on it are the pups. I have a very similar one that I got for less than $100. Seems talent may be more important than equipment. She consistently sounds better than I do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I think it's modern day consumerism that dictates how often guitar strings are changed.
    Oh no, I definitely hear it when my bottom string goes off - anf it always is the bottom string. It really affects my playing too, even if a significant percentage of the public won't know the difference.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    ...and she plays an SX bass. The only thing she says she's changed on it are the pups. I have a very similar one that I got for less than $100. Seems talent may be more important than equipment. She consistently sounds better than I do.

I had an SX... I dismantled it and threw it in the bin. The Toby I replaced it with feels and sounds so much better. Once I threw in a little Rumble into the mix I was where I wanted to be. My shoulder is happier too!

Depends how much you use them but I like to change strings before a gig or recording. The brightness wares off after about a month of playing regularly. If you are just jamming they will last quite a while until they get rusty, depends on how much you sweat, the weather etc always a good idea to wipe down after playing as this will extend the life

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I had an SX... I dismantled it and threw it in the bin. The Toby I replaced it with feels and sounds so much better. Once I threw in a little Rumble into the mix I was where I wanted to be. My shoulder is happier too!
    I like my SX, but it took a little work to get there. I got it as a backup and for a while all I had done with it was to swap out the stock pickups for DiMarzio J's. It sounded OK and played OK. When I started gearing up to do a proper set up on my first PitBull kit, I put a bone nut on it, dressed the frets and did a proper setup. After that it played great, but it still sounded just OK. I did a little routing and got a new pickguard to put in a P pup where the neck J pup had been, and swapped out the pickups for some EMG Geezer Butlers. Neck dive was cured with Gotoh Res-O-Lites. I think the only the bridge is stock and unmodded at this stage. I do hear you about the weight though. It's on the heavy side of the normal range for a P/J bass at about 4.5kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry snook View Post
    Depends how much you use them but I like to change strings before a gig or recording. The brightness wares off after about a month of playing regularly. If you are just jamming they will last quite a while until they get rusty, depends on how much you sweat, the weather etc always a good idea to wipe down after playing as this will extend the life
    That makes sense. You'll hear yourself better in the mix when the strings are a little brighter. I think it depends a bit on your playing style as well. I like them a little dull, except for slap...which I am very bad at and don't do much ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2