Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st Build TL-1L

1st Build TL-1L

Kit arrived today and it seems decent. Going to list the quirks my kit has.

1. Neck pocket slightly too wide (shouldn't be much of an issue on a tele right? It's a mm at best).

2. Burr/Knot on the neck. It's on the lower section, out of the general playing area but it feels horrible. Will have to post a pic and get some advice here (I'm assuming sanding will get rid of it).

3. Router tear-out in the control cavity. Will post a pic of this as well. Not sure if I need to fill it or can just shield over it. I will probably fill it if I can.

4. Bridge pickup cavity is a bit tight and may need expanding.

Things to do: Mock build, check the neck > buy sandpaper > sand, shape headstock?, clean up pickguard

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Pics are helpful, but yes on most of the TL kits the bridge cavity needs a bit of enlargement. It's often a good idea to move the bridge forward about 3mm at the same time as it makes the pickguard fit nicer and there is still plenty of thread for intonation on the saddles.

Mock it up before doing anything. Also worth giving the kit a couple of days to settle after transport as changing humidity and temps can make the wood swell and contract, so you might find the neck pocket isn't as bad as it seems atm.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Found this while taking pics

The burr? Haha more like a dent, praise natural light.

Shitty pic of the control cavity.

EDIT: Current scale length: approx 645-665, plenty of room. I like the idea of moving the bridge forward, cheers for that!

Mock Build! Hope this works because the pic is too big for the forums.
    Last edited by Matezma; 18-12-2020 at 10:07 AM.

EX-1L arrived today. Not sure if I should start a new thread for it? The kit seems decent so far, but I will have another look under natural light later. The neck pocket is super tight atm, will see how she goes in a few days as Sonic said.

There's a crack on the thin part of the neck pocket, seems like a common thing, I just dribble some glue into it right? I could just use a drop of the neck glue?

Picked up some sand paper (240/400/600), some painters tape and a cork sanding block. Should've checked my list before I left, I missed the 1200 grit.

Taped the tuners in place to check string alignment, wouldn't recommend doing this without a clamp like I did haha.

Small gap in the neck pocket. If you came across this with your build/s let me know what you decided to do? Just left it or..?

My main concern is the split, as seen in the first pic of the thread, in the base of the neck. If you have any ideas regarding that let me know. The nightmare is I drill the bolt-on holes and it expands or something. Other than that there's a lot of sanding in my future, as well researching paints etc.

I plan to use Tru-Oil for the finish on both the neck and body, painting the Tele Body (might try stencil something on it as well).

Gave the body a sand with the orbital 180, then hand sanded with 240. No idea how long I'm meant to sand for, until it's flat? There is a dent on the horn but it's relatively deep (my fault) and the pick guard will cover it.

How do I deal with this (the tear out at the edge of the neck pocket)?

Next step is Sanding Sealer, might give it another sand before that.
    Last edited by Matezma; 13-01-2021 at 01:16 PM.

I went ahead and put a coat of sanding sealer on the body and the tear on edge of the neck cavity expanded (so I did learn something here ). Eventually it broke off, so now I have the little chip in a ziplock waiting to be glued in.

Tried to expand the bridge pickup cavity, my chisel work is horrible. Trying to just move on from it by telling myself it will be covered up,

While doing my first coat of sanding sealer the hook I was hanging it with let go and body fell right on top of my tin of sanding sealer... There are now many dents and scratches on the body and a lot of sanding in my future. I feel like the dent is too deep to sand out so I may try using sawdust and wood glue to fill it after I sand it back.

Horrible pic but it's too hot right now!

Try the soldering iron and wet cloth trick first - that should reduce the dent.

Oh, good call, will do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matezma View Post
    Oh, good call, will do. Thanks!
    Can I recommend the steam clothes iron and wet cloth as opposed to the soldering iron. The clothes iron will spread the heat across a wider area....the soldering iron is very localised....but is very good for small tight dents and areas you can't get with a clothes iron.

e.g. wet the timber in the area you want to swell up.....get a damp rag....I use a wet tea towel. Lay over the are of wood. Place the clothes iron onto the tea towel. The iron is on maximum temperature and with steam functioning on.

Repeat and check and repeat and check until you have the desired result. Now let it dry for at least 12 hours....then sand and away you go again.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast