Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gator Cases ABS molded case

Most of my cases are SKB. One is a custom soft case with hard foam under the outer shell which came with my 6-string bass. I also have a couple of thin gig bags that I never use, and a really nice and thick gig bag for my acoustic bass guitar.

The last case I bought was an ABS Gator that said it fits 335-style guitars. Turned out that wasn't entirely accurate. My Epiphone Dot Studio does indeed "fit" in it, but it definitely wasn't made for it. The section for the body is too deep, so with the top closed, the guitar is held in place only by the neck, with no support behind the body. I layed a rolled up t-shirt in there to fill the gap. It's a really nice case, it just doesn't fit my guitar.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Quote Originally Posted by PJSprog View Post
    Most of my cases are SKB. One is a custom soft case with hard foam under the outer shell which came with my 6-string bass.
    That sounds like what some mfgs are calling a hybrid case. Do you like it? I like the weight, but most are fairly thick, and I have been concerned that a good whack on the neck would break it right in half.

The last case I bought was an ABS Gator that said it fits 335-style guitars. Turned out that wasn't entirely accurate. My Epiphone Dot Studio does indeed "fit" in it, but it definitely wasn't made for it. The section for the body is too deep, so with the top closed, the guitar is held in place only by the neck, with no support behind the body.
    This is similar to the issue I had with the Road Runner case for my hybrid bass, which has a fender neck with a ES335 body. I had to use a fair amount of padding to get the body to fit right. The funny thing is that, once I did that, my Fender Coronado fits in it as well. Take the padding out, and my dreadnaught fits.

I am thinking about what to do with for my other basses. Back when ignorance was bliss, saw that my G&L ASAT, my Frankenjazz bass, and my '74 Fender Precision all fit rather nicely in my '74 Fender case. What I did not realize at the time is that (a) it doesn't protect the Pbass that came in it all that well, and it's now probably worth more than the basses I'd take out in it.

We live in an odd world where a post CBS bass case is worth more than a bass that plays, sounds and looks better than the bass that came in it.

My Gator 335 case fits my Hamer Echotone 335-style well IMO. Not supported all along the body, but the rear half is, and the neck sits well on the two supports and the headstock is kept well away from all the edges.

It's a big thick beast though. The Thomann hard card case I bought for my ES-1/330 fits a lot better all round and is a lot slimmer and lighter. However it would provide a bit less protection if it fell from a height or something heavy fell on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    That sounds like what some mfgs are calling a hybrid case. Do you like it? I like the weight, but most are fairly thick, and I have been concerned that a good whack on the neck would break it right in half.
    No, not really. The bass is a custom 6-string, and it came with this case, made specifically for this bass. It's hard foam covered with a canvas outer cover. It was made wrong to begin with, as the handles were sewn on in the center, making the back droop when carried. I, too, have worried about traveling with it. It's only ever traveled with me locally in my vehicle. I kept telling myself that I should have a flight case made for it, but I never did, and that's harder to justify now that I no longer play live shows with it.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

5. Liked by: fender3x

Quote Originally Posted by PJSprog View Post
    No, not really. The bass is a custom 6-string, and it came with this case, made specifically for this bass. It's hard foam covered with a canvas outer cover. It was made wrong to begin with, as the handles were sewn on in the center, making the back droop when carried. I, too, have worried about traveling with it. It's only ever traveled with me locally in my vehicle. I kept telling myself that I should have a flight case made for it, but I never did, and that's harder to justify now that I no longer play live shows with it.
    Not a ringing endorsement, although I see why you have not purchased a new one.

https://roadrunnercases.com/road-run...uitar-gig-bag/

I have occasionally considered something like this, which would fit 4 of the basses I have... Better than any gig-bag I have had in my hands, and lighter than a case, but the guitar can still move around lenght-wise. It says it has "corrugated boards front and back which might strengthen it...but of course "corrugated boards" is not very descriptive. Could mean cardboard.

I recently saw this at a Sam Ash store...

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...uG2qtsP49-JmAk

The straps and handle looked pretty so-so, but the interior is nice. Easily fits a p- or j-bass. Looks like it would fit four of my basses actually--one at a time, of course ;-)

I have only ever seen "Guitar Research" stuff at Sam Ash, so I am guessing it's a house-brand-generic. The closest I have seen to something similar is this:

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Gui...Gear4music/C87

Essentially the same price. Interiors look pretty much identical. I haven't seen the Gear4music case IRL so I can't be sure.

The G4M case looks like it may have a better handle and finish. The GR case has more external pockets. Not really a fair comparison, tho since I have actually touched just one of them.

Anyone have experience with either of these or similar? I can't get the G4M case anywhere I can find. The Guitar Research bag is just up the street from me. The hard foam cases are light, but look like they'd offer decent protection without being too bulky. Curious if anyone has tried one of these, aside from PJSprog's not-s0-good experience?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2