Thread: Proper Tenorcaster

Proper Tenorcaster

Waiting for paint etc to dry on other projects, I got started on another. This time a proper tenor tele, unlike the previous mis-titled tenor which is actually a baritone. Confused? I know I am.
    I am using a full sized body, which is extremely light (one of a few I got as a job lot from a retired builder) The neck is from a donor Squier mini Strat, 3/4 size, which has a scale of 22.75 inches (more of that guitar body later) The proportions look quite nice to me and I am hoping this will be reflected in playability later.
    Interestingly the standard bridge position is spot on for this scale (can't work out why, but I have measured many times)
    Work done so far
    I modified an ashtray bridge for four string. Made and fitted a brass nut, I will cut the slots in situ. (the original nut must have been fitted with Cascamite as it refused to budge and eventually came out in pieces) I have decided on Ukelele type string spacing as I tried an Eastwood and quite liked the wider spacing (10mm at nut, 14mm at bridge) I plugged the six tuner holes and remarked and drilled for four, The headstock will be trimmed to a slimmer tele style in due course.
    Pick-ups will be a hot rail humbucker in the bridge and a single rail lipstick type at the neck.
    Working in the kitchen at the moment due to workshop being full of in-laws stuff, drilling, sanding and filing done outside the back door, so slow progress on all fronts at this time.
    It is my intention to initially tune DGBE but will also use DGCD, there are of course many tunings that would work buts that's for later, just doing some out loud thinking
    This will be an interesting addition to my telecasters as I will have one in 22.75, 24.75, 25.5, 30.0 and a bass in 34.0 scale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenorcaster.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	38419  
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

I feel I truly understand your tag line about the love of a good woman now that I know you are building a guitar in the kitchen!

There are some rules and it’s better than stripping a carburettor on the kitchen table! Reminds me of my brother restoring a Triumph Thunderbird in my old mums front room then having to remove the bay window as it wouldn’t go out the way it came in (in boxes!)

Had a bit of sunshine today so cracked on with a few bits outside. I reshaped the headstock, fitted the ferrule block and tuners for a test set-up. Happy to report all is well with the intonation and action. I have used 12, 16, 24 and 32 as my initial tryout for DGBE and DGCD. The string tails have been left long for now as I need the straight end to pass through the body when I next assemble.

Name:	tenorcaster (1).JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	38489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenorcaster (2).JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	38490  
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

Finished this one with a simple ebony stain and semi matt wax so as to highlight the brightwork (well that's my story anyway!) After using the snakeskin vinyl wrap on another project, a friend gave me some real snake skin (Indonesian water moccasin, I believe) I used this on the headstock and wrapped a thin piece of aluminium for a la cabronita style scratch plate. I believe that the vinyl looks more real than the real stuff! This build went together pretty easily and with the relatively heavy gauge strings I have found a nice tuning A D G A which is slack enough for comfort but still gives a really nice ringing tone. The centre screw on the back is the strap button, fitted with an M5 thread adapter, basically fitted there as there was a (construction?) hole that I didn't fill and obviously as I didn't use a neck plate (experimenting with alternative ferrule type fixings)
    Still to do an electrical shakedown but its a bit late and the boss is asleep

Name:	tenor (1).JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	38987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor (3).JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	38988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenor.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	38989  
    Last edited by impala59; 31-01-2021 at 12:02 AM.