Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB Audio interface or have line 6 spider's usb port fixed?

USB Audio interface or have line 6 spider's usb port fixed?

Just my luck: I finally finished my new guitar and wanted to record some sounds as the usb exit port of my line 6 spider V broke. (the square plastic thingy in the middle broke off)
    I managed to detache the malfuntioning usb port from the circuit board and replace it with a new one.
    No luck tho: windows says the usb device is unrecognisable or malfunctioning.
    Maybe there's a short somewhere, or bad connection, dunno.

Should I keep trying to fix it or have it fixed? (which will cost me, no doubt) Or should I go with a usb audio interface like this https://www.thomann.de/be/focusrite_...i4_3rd_gen.htm
    Will it bet better/equal/worse than the line 6 interface?
    And are there cheaper alternatives for me?

Thanks for thinking with me

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Those Scarletts have an excellent rap so I dont think you could go wrong there. For playing at home I pretty much always play through the computer, it’s just easier and more versatile while not also annoying the neighbours.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and as Sonic says they are excellent, easy to use, nice gentle preamps and when you register your unit you'll get Red Comp and Red EQ thrown in.

The Solo also does a full 48V phantom power for my condenser mics, the Behringer Xenyx despite having phantom power hasn't got the grunt to drive them so I need an inline injector for the power.

A repair of the Line 6 might be cheaper but it's a bit of a limitation if you want to do more than guitars ( I have a Fender Mustang for that purpose )

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and as Sonic says they are excellent
    I've got 2 of them (each end of the house...overkill)

cheers, Mark.

According to the manual you should have a USB-B and a USB-C port on the back, with a switch to select between which one’s in use.

Have you tried using the other USB port (and checked the switch position)?

Which model of Spider V is it? Does it have the XLR direct outs?

With the AI, you’d need to use amp sim software if you plugged directly in to that with the guitar. If that’s the plan, then unless you need the AI for mic use, you may be better off with a small Helix unit and record your sounds direct from that.

Maybe describe just what you’ve got in terms of your recording set-up and what you’d like to do, so we can suggest the easiest ways to achieve it, rather than suggest equipment that whilst good, may not fulfil all your needs, so you then need to spend more on extra hardware and/or software.

Another +1 for the Scarlett 2i2 V1 here. Old but still going strong.

I would do some more troubleshooting on the Line 6 first, if that fails again, get an idea how much it would cost to fix, make your decision then.

rob

What I do: record some guitar, put some VST plugin drums, bass and keyboard next to it. And mix it.
    Nothing professional, more like in making garage-demo's.
    The spider has xls outputs, so I intend to use those to record the guitar, in stead of the usb like I do now.

Would there be other benefits involved using a 2i2 over the amps usb? (better sound, lower latency or ... ?)

You may get slightly lower latency, but you might not. Using the USB you'll miss out the D/A (in the Line 6) and A/D (in the AI) conversion stages that you'll get when you use the XLR outputs, which will always introduce a few ms latency. But you are already hearing the Line 6's D/A latency when you play through the amp, so extra A/D latency will be minimal (as long as you can use a small buffer size).

I don't know what sort of latency the Line 6 USB connection has, so can't say if it will be better or worse overall. Sound-wise there shouldn't be any noticeable difference. There may be a bit more noise going down the XLR line-out route, but so little that it will be buried in the general background noise.

Have you tried the alternative USB connection port on the Line 6 at all?

The other usb connection is for ipod/iphone i'm afraid. I can't use that as I don't own either

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast