Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tru oil over dingotone final coat

Tru oil over dingotone final coat

Hello,

The dingotone on my current build has been rather annoying. At least 2 months after applying the last final coat it it still sticky and feels like one does when it's humid. It has been hanging in my diy drying booth (a cardboard fridge box with a door on it, protects from dust but has some ventilation) in warm Perth weather.

Why is it not drying? Have I done something wrong/what causes this slow drying?

As an alternative, I'm considering tru oil. I have a bottle lying around, still unopened from a build that's been postponed.

Can i apply this on top to speed up the surface drying? Do i need to remove some of the dingotone coat first? How do I go about this?

If it helps, my finish is matte and it's a super open grain ash body so no filling or gloss necessary, just a coat to seal the stain I guess.

From what I've read, Dingotone has a mind of its own. It either works or it doesn't.

Tru-Oil will certainly go over dry Dingotone, but I have no idea what the situation is with it over still tacky DT.

It should be dry from the last week in Perth alone - 4 days over 35 degrees.
    On my FVB-4 I never got to the final coat, I put TO over the intensifier coat as that took about 4 weeks to dry.

Do you leave tacky fingerprints on it when you touch it, or does it just feel sticky?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Trevor it doesn't leave marks, it just feels sticky. the sticky doesn't feel very deep, like it's just on the surface.

It may just be how it is; some finishes can be like that. The UV-curing grain filler and lacquer I've got feels just like that even though it's fully cured within a minute of exposure to bright sunlight. Feels just like it's still wet, but when you sand it down, it feels dry, smooth and non-sticky.

Hi Diggy.

On my FVB-4, it would not feel sticky to the back of my fingers, but definitely felt sticky to the finger tips. Is it the same for your guitar?

I wonder if the issue is some weird chemical bond between the DT and our skin! Does it feel sticky if you touch the surface with cotton cloth or gloves?

If the last resort was needing to remove the DT - I think I would try putting tru-oil over the top, and pray hard. If that doesn't work then sand it all back!!!

Hopefully someone else has had some experience, and some advice also, and can offer more assistance.

Trevor
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Sorry for late update, i just decided to move forward because it has had plenty time to dry and it hasn't changer recently, making me think that this is how it's gonna be. I don't leave marks on it and it doesn't grab fibers from a cloth rubbed on it.

One thing i have noticed is that, since I put colour on 6 months ago, the colour has faded and lost it's intensity. I like how it looks now, but is this a common thing?

Hi Diggy. I would be interested in seeing a before and after shot to compare them?

This was taken just after applying a few coats of colour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapchat-712380749.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	38462

This was taken yesterday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapchat-1407551717.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	38463

It seems to have yellowed a bit, was this from the final coat? I haven't applied anything other than the dingotone oils.

Wow, that is a big difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast