Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: AES-1 Special

AES-1 Special

I’ve had this sitting in the back of the cupboard for a while and thinking, “What am I going to do with this?”.
    Floating bridge and tailpiece is a gimme.
    I’ve been kidding myself that my first stained burst wasn’t a fluke and I have those stains at hand, or is it time for a red guitar?
    A couple (yes, two...but may only use one...options) of p90 humbucker sized pickups arrived this week and I’ve just sanded the neck to fit into the pocket, so it has officially commenced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 131.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	512.7 KB 
ID:	38382  

Mark,

I have a tele with a bigsby coming and have also ordered a set of ToneRider Rebel 90 (P90) pickups for that build. They are hum bucker sized P 90's.

It will be interesting to see how noisy they are being bigger.

I think you need some colour in this one....your natural finishes and subdued finishes have been legendary.....bright time for you.

But that is just my opinion. (But that carved top is screaming for some colour to go with the grain and shape.)

Good Luck.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Thanks Ozzbike. Agree that some colour is required, especially to cover the neck and mahogany veneer body, it’s not a good match with the maple.
    I have a natural flame maple Ibanez which looks very nice, but like you, I would like to see how this will look with some colour on it.
    My pickups are budget price but if I don’t like them I would certainly consider the Tonerider.
    Good luck with the Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    I have a tele with a bigsby coming and have also ordered a set of ToneRider Rebel 90 (P90) pickups for that build. They are hum bucker sized P 90's.

It will be interesting to see how noisy they are being bigger.
    They should be slightly quieter if anything. The metal housing of humbucker-sized P-90s will cut down on a lot of the hum a standard plastic-covered P-90 picks up. Internally, the coil will vary slightly from a true P-90 because the coil isn’t quite as long, so to fit the same number of turns in the space available, the bobbin either has to be a bit deeper or they use thinner 43AWG rather than 42AWG wire. As from a marketing point of view they normally like to publish DCR figures that are similar to classic P90s (unless promoting a hot version), then the slightly deeper bobbin is the normal method.

As the same number of turns are now spread out over a taller bobbin, the coil itself is a bit thinner. So it senses a slightly smaller length of string, resulting in a slightly brighter tone. But some of this is then cancelled out by the extra capacitance from having the pickup cover, so the end result is pretty damn close.

5. Liked by: OliSam

What’s the neck angle looking like on that, DM? My Schaller roller bridge ended up being taller than my filed-down TonePros on my ES-3, even when resting the strings on the threaded part if the saddle, not the roller itself, so I’m at an impasse on that ATM, with no idea what to do next. I can’t keep throwing money at it.

Neck angle will need work for my plans.
    At lest I know that now from the get go.

Credit where credit is due. The neck block in this kit is the best I’ve seen in a pit Bull guitar, proper solid wood.
    As I have to adjust the neck angle for a floating bridge (not the kit’s fault, my silly idea) I’ve glued in a wedge and started making the resulting adjustments. Not regretting my rasp saw purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    I’ve had this sitting in the back of the cupboard for a while and thinking, “What am I going to do with this?”.
    Floating bridge and tailpiece is a gimme.
    I’ve been kidding myself that my first stained burst wasn’t a fluke and I have those stains at hand, or is it time for a red guitar?
    A couple (yes, two...but may only use one...options) of p90 humbucker sized pickups arrived this week and I’ve just sanded the neck to fit into the pocket, so it has officially commenced.
    Ooooooo, I already like where this is going. IGOR! POPCORN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

11. Liked by: OliSam

Tidy enough floating bridge adjustment for now.
    I’m still not settled on how I’m finishing this one. I’ve got about four different ideas, one a little more ‘out there’ than the others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PNG image 134.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	38994  

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast