Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5 string Tele bass

5 string Tele bass

Telecaster shaped body for a 5 string bass. straight 5 or 4/1 headstock. Fretless or fretted option.

I'm not sure you'd be able to maintain the traditional headstock shape with a 4+1.
    I'm only guessing but I think with a 5 in-line, the headstock would need to be elongated, though could still be dimensionally proportional.

The only images I've found of T style 5 strings have had very different headstock shapes to the traditional tele.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I'd say 4/1... 5 inline makes the headstock look too stretched.

Are there any cheap Chinese 5-string Tele Bass-style pickups being made? If you had to use a soapbar, it wouldn’t look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Are there any cheap Chinese 5-string Tele Bass-style pickups being made? If you had to use a soapbar, it wouldn’t look right.
    I've seen a few cheap 4 string tele pups but no 5 string. There are plenty of cheap 5 string jazz pups out there though.. you'd have to put round extensions onto the square ends of the covers and paint the covers to give them a tele look.

For a factory kit to be feasible, they’d have to be able to be bought very cheaply off-the-shelf from another Chinese factory.

For a factory kit to be feasible, they’d have to be able to be bought very cheaply off-the-shelf from another Chinese factory.
    I only just noticed this was a thread on the new kit ideas section, in which case, yeh, I'd say it's a bit of a no goer, since I havn't seen off the shelf pups. If you were keen enough for such a bass you would have to modify and existing kit yourself, probably from a Jazz Bass kit.

the main part i'd be looking for is the body shape.. pickups and head stock probably isnt so important to me. Trying to find the body shape to fit a 5 string bass is the difficult part. pickup i would probably go non traditional eg mixing a P bass and a Humbucker together. all i've been able to see are 4 string versions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tele6.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	42373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele bass 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	42374  
    Last edited by raz1972; 19-01-2022 at 04:06 AM.

I have a G&L ASAT bass, a four string with a Tele body. People always tell me how cool it looks when I've played it out. But I had to add a custom made after market strap extender to make it comfortable to play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASAT Horn Strap Button Extender 017.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	42378

Without that little device it had vicious neck-dive. That was in spite of having aluminum tuner posts. Even without the neck dive, the way the bass hangs, you have to have your hand about 3-4" further out from your body than you would with a P or J bass.

It seems to me that these problems would be compounded in a 5 string whether in-line or 4x1 on the headstock. You might end up with a really gorgeous, unique bass that you don't take out much because it's uncomfortable to play.

Good point, fender3x. You could set the bridge at the very end of the body and inset the neck by the amount the bridge moved back and maybe use a short 3+2 headstock with lightweight Y-tuners, but you lose some of that Tele vibe and it would probably still be neck heavy. And you'll still need to find a suitable 5-string bass pickup that kept the Tele feel, and lightweight tuners aren't standard Chinese kit equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast