Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ColorTone Cherry Finish?

I'm in Coorparoo so will venture north!
    Better pack a lunch!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

They sell them here also:
    https://www.carbatec.com.au/brands/u-beaut

And there's a store on the southside so I might try them there. Website seems more this-century too!

I also found this thread
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=7755
    For anyone reading who wants more words about U-Beaut.

Good stuff Glen!

I have only made online purchases from Carbatec. I'm afraid if I went into their physical store, I'd be like a kid in a candy store and have a hard time leaving without an empty wallet! (of course my wallet is usually empty anyway )

U-beaut website has tips on using their dye here for anyone interested. They have all sorts of good stuff, from shellacs to polishes too...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I have only made online purchases from Carbatec. I'm afraid if I went into their physical store, I'd be like a kid in a candy store and have a hard time leaving without an empty wallet! (of course my wallet is usually empty anyway )
    I made several trips there when I was building my canoe. I's very easy to fall down the rabbit hole there <chuckle>. Just have a look at the prices of Festool stuff, that will bring you back to reality. They also have a nice selection of veneers if anyone decides to change their top.

Jumping in on this conversation, as I'm aiming to achieve a similar effect as McCreed's TL on an Ash ST, only I want it to be darker (blood-like).

I've started with ebony timbermate grain filler, and am thinking of applying a diluted black stain to darken the overall the body colour, and hopefully make the grain pop a bit more, then go over with a red ink stain, followed by tru-oil.

I'm a bit hesitant over spirit-based vs water-based combinations here, so correct me if I'm "wrong", but does this order work?:
    - Timbermate grain filler
    - FW spirt stain
    - Acrylic ink
    - Tru-oil

Maybe I should swap out the ink for U beaut, after reading this thread.

For pure stains/dyes, alcohol/spirit or water is only the solvent used, the dye/stain itself is basically the same fine powder. So once the solvent's evaporated, there's really no difference in the result and you can put exactly the same stuff over it.

I find spirit based stuff easier to work and blend, though it has less surface tension and gets into small cracks in binding a lot easier than water based stain does.

But some stains do have a 'fixer' element, basically a varnish, that will lock them in place once they dry, so that can limit some of the finishing options, especially when blending or when re-staining areas.

Great, thanks Simon.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Further to what Simon posted, my TL was done with: Timbermate (which is water based), water based dye and then clear coated with oil based poly.

I make my own wipe-on poly by mixing 50/50 turps/poly (Cabothane Gloss) and had no issues with the water based products underneath, other than the normal "lift" you get with the first few coats. Just to reiterate, that is normal if being applied by wiping on with a cloth and typically not a problem with a single colour stain.

If you do go with the U-beaut dyes, I reckon you could mix the Red and Black (Green Black*) or the Cedar to get the exact colour you're after.
    I recommend being very methodical and using accurate measures, and most importantly, WRITE IT DOWN so the colour can be recreated if you need more or have to do a repair down the track.

I did a mod/repair for a customer early this year on his Epiphone 335 which involved reshaping the headstock to a Gibson-style "open book". The 335 was the classic vintage cherry which I had to match, and did it successfully with my U-beaut dyes. Unfortunately I can't find my recipe at the moment, but will have a look for if you're interested.
    I'm pretty sure it was the Red and Cedar that got me there.

I'll see if I can find a photo of the finished guitar (had a major computer crash after the job).

*re: the Green Black - It does have a slight greenish tinge to it but it will dry to a black, but not not a solid black - if that makes any sense. It will definitely darken other colours it's mixed with though.

Yeah, if you can dig out a picture that would be appreciated (but not expected or demanded).

I have all the other ingredients, but will make the trek to timbecon if that feels like a better option.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    The 335 was the classic vintage cherry which I had to match, and did it successfully with my U-beaut dyes. Unfortunately I can't find my recipe at the moment, but will have a look for if you're interested.
    I'm pretty sure it was the Red and Cedar that got me there.

I'll see if I can find a photo of the finished guitar (had a major computer crash after the job).

*re: the Green Black - It does have a slight greenish tinge to it but it will dry to a black, but not not a solid black - if that makes any sense. It will definitely darken other colours it's mixed with though.
    +1 for interest in this special recipe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3