Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ColorTone Cherry Finish?

I'd prefer to assume it will, rather than it won't. Raised grain can be dealt with, it really isn't much of a problem, but stained cracked binding is a lot harder, and painting it really is about the only solution that I found worked.

Also, the ES-1 binding is thicker white/black/white black layered binding, whilst McCreed's PRS-style binding looks to be a much thinner single ply binding, so was probably far more flexible and went on without any major/deep stress cracks when bent.
    That is a good point and reasonable consideration. It would be an interesting experiment if one had some scraps of the different bindings.

...and painting it really is about the only solution that I found worked.
    Probably sounds crazy, but have you ever tried bleach on a cotton bud? (cotton swab)
    I have no idea if it would react poorly on the plastic, but maybe not.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Some really good knowledge and advice in this thread, thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I used Cherry ColorTone on the ash Tele in the pic below, however the supplier I bought it from sold it "pre-diluted" (my mistake) and it was too light to give the depth I wanted
    Are you saying I shouldn't purchase something pre-diluted? Like this:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ColorTon...-/132129688971

I agree with McCreed
    I think the prediluted is already at the 30:1. That ratio is suggested in the StewMac doco.
    I have found it too light and use about 15:1(metho). I used 8:1 and 1:1 covering trying to cover glue marks and scratches on my ES.
    You could use lots of coats at 30:1 but I have been unable to achieve my required depth of colour.
    It is expensive but "she who must be obeyed" will tell you to stop building guitars before you use a bottle.
    I think TransTint is the same as ColorTone with emphasis on the "think".
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Pre-diluting to that extent is an easy way for the seller to maximise their profit by simply adding water, and without a detailed chemical analysis it would be impossible to say whether it was a true 30:1 mix (actually the normal 1oz to 1 quart would be a 32:1 mix), and may well be diluted a lot more in reality. StuMac don't give duff advice, so the standard mix should be fine for obtaining a good stained finish.

But what works well on light wood won't be as effective on a darker wood, so I'd always look to buy something more concentrated that can be mixed as necessary to suit the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by glenwilliam View Post
    Some really good knowledge and advice in this thread, thank you all.

Are you saying I shouldn't purchase something pre-diluted? Like this:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ColorTon...-/132129688971
    That is the Seller I bought it from. I wouldn't buy from him again.

That is the Seller I bought it from. I wouldn't buy from him again.
    Funnily enough I bought the same one from the same vendor, and I didn't have any issue with it on the HB-4, it came up the colour I was after. I think I'd probably have preferred it if what was being sold was the strain and not premixed... I kinda like the control of mixing myself and choosing what carrier to dilute it in. The problem with stain is once you get to a certain point, the colour doesn't deepen no matter how many coats you put on, unless you mix up some more with a more concentrated dilution. kinda a shame it isn't more like a candy.

I'll also add that when I switched to the U-Beaut timber dye (also water based) I used it undiluted to achieve the result you see on that TLA. U-Beaut has a 7-colour kit that cost me $39 (7 x 50ml bottles) I used less than 25ml to do that body.

Not sure what part of Brissie you're in, but there is a Woodturners Supply shop at The Gap. That's where I got mine.
    They are truly old school and their website is horrible, but they're a nice old couple that run it.

I'll also add that when I switched to the U-Beaut timber dye (also water based) I used it undiluted to achieve the result you see on that TLA. U-Beaut has a 7-colour kit that cost me $39 (7 x 50ml bottles) I used less than 25ml to do that body.

Not sure what part of Brissie you're in, but there is a Woodturners Supply shop at The Gap. That's where I got mine.
    They are truly old school and their website is horrible, but they're a nice old couple that run it.
    Thanks for the tip! I do like the colour of your TLA - not as bright as the ColorTone cherry so maybe I can achieve that more vintage-look with the U-beaut dyes.. either way, worth the investment to check them out for that price. I'm in Coorparoo so will venture north!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast