Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing admission....Happy Number 38 guitar to me.

OOPs forgot the treble bleed.

So laying in bed at 0217am today and I have an ah ha moment. I forgot the treble bleed in the wiring harness. Fire up the soldering iron and da da we have what I hope is the finished item.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	38367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	38368  
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

Hi Ozzie, you can't keep a good man down! Always enjoy checking out what you are up to. Truly inspirational for all of us.

Here's to many hours of productive fun.

Cheers, Waz
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    Hi Ozzie, you can't keep a good man down! Always enjoy checking out what you are up to. Truly inspirational for all of us.

Here's to many hours of productive fun.

Cheers, Waz
    Thanks Waz,

No inspiration...just a fruit cake trying to keep one foot moving forward in front of the other.

That’s great news you are back building..👍
    When you say number 38 and this one is for you. What do you do with your guitar builds Ozz?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    That’s great news you are back building..👍
    When you say number 38 and this one is for you. What do you do with your guitar builds Ozz?
    I will have 38 at the end of this one here with me. I have made over 50 now...family and friends.
    What got me to come back...was that I had started going back over my older, less played guitars and trying to make them better.

It is like keeping your children’s early drawings from school, and then trying to turn them into a masterpiece later on.

I decided that I enjoy the challenge of the whole package of building a Bass or Guitar, not just the repair or upgrade work.

The sanding, staining or painting and finishing, plus make the complete wiring harness...then putting it all together and doing a very playable setup and using the guitar is what I need to do.

I don’t drink, don’t smoke and most women are way to complicated for me....this is my vice.

I play every day. I have over 3000 songs on Rocksmith 2014 remastered and a series of favourite playlists within that...mainly from the 70’s.

I keep them dust free, waxed, fingerboard oiled and tuned. 🎸🎶✌️

Quote Originally Posted by ozzbike View Post
    I will have 38 at the end of this one here with me. I have made over 50 now...family and friends.
    What got me to come back...was that I had started going back over my older, less played guitars and trying to make them better.

It is like keeping your children’s early drawings from school, and then trying to turn them into a masterpiece later on.

I decided that I enjoy the challenge of the whole package of building a Bass or Guitar, not just the repair or upgrade work.

The sanding, staining or painting and finishing, plus make the complete wiring harness...then putting it all together and doing a very playable setup and using the guitar is what I need to do.

I don’t drink, don’t smoke and most women are way to complicated for me....this is my vice.

I play every day. I have over 3000 songs on Rocksmith 2014 remastered and a series of favourite playlists within that...mainly from the 70’s.

I keep them dust free, waxed, fingerboard oiled and tuned.
    Youre a cool dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olisam,

Thanks for the nice words.

I would think that I am more just a little bit nuts.

This is the one with a maple board, bone nut and Tonerider Rebel 90 pickups. Aussie Post hints that it may arrive tomorrow.

https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...ic-guitar-kit/

You are an eager beaver, wiring 9/10th done before you’ve even received your kit. Look forward to see what finish you’ve got in mind. I’m sure those pickups are going to sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    You are an eager beaver, wiring 9/10th done before you’ve even received your kit. Look forward to see what finish you’ve got in mind. I’m sure those pickups are going to sound pretty good.
    Mark, you have hit straight to the heart of the issue. The wiring harness came as Real Parts are just up the road from me and their stuff gets here quick. So yes keen, got it done and just needs pickups now.

The colour scheme has me pondering things. The body has a single binding on the top edge. I have considered trying a faux natural binding on the back edge of the body. I intend to try and roll over the edge by hand with sanding. I have been thinking about measuring and marking 4mm lines on the side of the edge and on the back.....then sanding the wood down flat in between the two lines all the way round. Then roll the two edges over with sand paper again.

I am just going to get a few guitars I have with round over edges and line up two straight edges and see how far I need to mark the lines back on each side. I don't know if 4mm either side will make the right size rounded over edge.

I have some gloss water based wipe on poly....and a couple of little water colour paint brushes. After the edge has been rolled over I will tape the edges and then paint on about six coats of the water based poly.

I intend to use alcohol based proof tint stains all over the body. This should help stop bleed through into the taped off edge areas.

I am thinking to use a Maple colour on top of the body.....the sides the Golden Teak colour....and maybe an Oak colour on the back of the body.

The colours available are here.........

https://feastwatson.com.au/products/...ain/prooftint/

I think I will use timber mate...presently liking the colouring from the cedar/blackwood variety....all over the body and on the headstock and rear of the neck. I think that I will try a different decal method on the headstock.....the quality clear parcel tape over a laser printed decal method.....and then use some aerosol cabots gloss polyurethane to seal it in. I am thinking that I may use some satin/semi-gloss polyurethane on the back of the neck.

The last build I did with the zebra wood veneer introduced me to the benefits of CA glue. I am really tempted to repeat that on the body.....and either polish that to a nice gloss finish...or spray gloss poly over the top.

My parcel postie will be busy but he stays out each day until he delivers all his stuff...so I could get my guitar at 8.00 p.m. tonight.

I have also consider returning to my norm of oil and waxed finishes. Same colour scheme and losing the faux binding on the back of the body......but I would keep the gloss headstock and satin back of the neck.

I have a long busy day tomorrow....so I think I will just get to have a look tonight and she will have to wait until later in the week.

I have to admit that I am pretty keen to get into it again.
    Last edited by ozzbike; 14-12-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast