Thread: Stew Mac Truss Rod Crank ... and what to do about it.

Stew Mac Truss Rod Crank ... and what to do about it.

I know I have said this before, but I really think there should be a forum that is devoted to tools, jigs and clever devices that can be used in guitar construction. Not that I am calling this ugly thing I made "clever." It's born more of necessity and laziness than intelligence.

I have two guitars that have a truss rod adjustment at the heel end. The kind with a single slot for a standard screwdriver rather than a hex-key hole. On the one I was just working on, I can access the truss rod through a notch I put in the pickguard for exactly this purpose...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sm_tool_pblm.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	38292

I also got a Stew Mac tool Called the "StewMac Truss Rod Crank for Tele"

I think this tool would be just fine for a truss rod end that is double slotted (looks like an X). However, for a single slotted be truss rod like mine, this tool will not turn the end a full 360. Once I got the slot into a left to right downward slope ( \ ) I could not get it to move farther. I needed a tool that had a blade that slanted in the opposite direction to the SM tool, and preferably also one that had a vertical blade.

So, I got out my tin snips, a hammer, a file and a large crescent wrench and made one:

Name:	IMG_20201202_180037.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	38293

Name:	sm_tool_ends.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	38294

Obviously not very pretty, but effective. I am thinking that I may send an abridged version of this to SM. They really should have both tools available. The flimsy piece of bent metal I got from them cost $10+7 with shipping. I might not have minded so much if it had worked well. Had I known that it would not be sufficient on its own, I might have made two ugly tools rather than just one.
    Last edited by fender3x; 03-12-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Would it not be easier to get a new double slotted truss rod nut and fit that rather than persevere with the single slot nut? Or do a bit more cutting away and fit the wheeled truss rod nut they sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Would it not be easier...?
    Of course! However, that would have involved ordering, paying and waiting. I should have added "impatience" and "cheapskatedness" to "laziness" above.

Also this was for a Warmoth neck. My experience with things purchased from Warmoth is that they are often ever so slightly incompatible with things you buy elsewhere.