Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Guitars ES-1F Electric Guitar Kit

Pit Bull Guitars ES-1F Electric Guitar Kit

I bought the guitar in the beginning of may this year, then waited for almost two month for it to get to sweden, that was a long wait! very eager to start the build as fast as possible. Then did a fast mock build and i think everything is OK. there are defintly some glue marks and pressure dings on the body and these needs to be addressed!

but then. i just never cant decide how to paint/stain the guitar.. should i do a stain in burst? one colour? searched the internet... searched Instagram of pictures of 335... made alot of experiments in the garage..

I dont know how many variants i made over the last months... blue, brown, purple, red, amber, bursts.....

but the plan now is to do a burst with stains. yellow, orange, brown, red and black

here is some examples...

the edge of the burst

and the top.. yellow is the main colour..

so lets see what happens next..

Hi Kristian, looks like you have mastered the art of doing bursts. Looks great.

Enjoy your build.

Cheers
    rob

Hi Kristian, I bought ES-1GT a few weeks ago and your top has better grain then mine. Same as you have found out, about 5 reasonable size glue spots and one sand through from the factory. The sand through showed up as a glue spot as well. I ran some metho over it first to see what I could find and nothing showed. Started staining and one after another came up. I used some goo off and then used 1200 wet and dry dipped in the stain. I gently sanded away until the spots disappeared..

That’s looking good Kristina. I found the guitar body of my ES-5V stayed wetter longer than the dry old thirsty piece of scrap wood I practiced my burst on. It was a good thing as it gives you more time to work the stain around until you are happy with it.

I finally manage to stain the guitar. its a pretty intensive session with high heart rate and alot of aahhh and ooohhhs. its not so easy to stain a burst and work on a large area and get smooth and equall transitions whole over the guitar, much easier to work on small try outs...

one differens from the earlier try outs, is that i left out the red from the dark areas. so now it is only, yellow, orange, brown and black.

one major issue, have glue line between the veneer on the top, and maybe some small gluespots still visible.. where afraid to use to much aceton during the staining.. have a few hopes the the finishing will help with that. but im stil a beginner and need some learning. too bad that you cant work a couple guitar at the same time ..

see this post, on the glue line

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=11107

thanks to good tips in the post. Hopefully i will use some pen to try to hide the line, so it will not appear to visible. just need to order and we see in a couple of days..

here is the front

here is the back

on the front, there is also a pressure ding, close to the bridge. there the stain differs a little. but hopefully after finish it will be OK.

i have not done anything to the neck this far. dont really know what stain it will get, or if the headstock will get a custom veneer. But the neck probably gets an amber stain that is sanded down so it will look weared down, something like a classic fender neck.

I think that burst is about as good as it gets. You have done a nice job 👍.

I agree with DarkMark - great job. As soon as I see red in a Gibson style burst, I run a mile. Garish clown bursts make me want to do evil things.....

That’s a great job for your first guitar build..👍
    Have the same ding in mine. That’s where the veneer was through to the body in that spot too. Thinking it could of been the sander that did the ding

first layer on the back and neck with Crimson penetrating oil is on .

there is still a long way to go. but finnish i s ready on the body. i might have to oil very thin, one or two layers when i do some sanding and polish. i did the oiling in my garage, i might have been a little dusty air there, because alot of small debrise and dust particles stuck in the finnish. i think i can fix this when i do the finall finnishing.

but i am quite happy with the result so far. hope that the guitar will also play well

i have not applied any oil/finnish on the headstock, waiting on getting ready for decals..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast