Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build - EX4

First day of action!

Beveled the front edge, still needs sanding. But I need to go get some finer sandpaper than what I have in the house.

Also, fixed the routing on the neck pocket. Neck now goes all the way in with no gap at the butt of the neck.

I'll post some pictures once imgur stops forcing me to use their stupid app 🙄

Edges need some tidying up with some fine grit sandpaper. And, theres a couple of really small marks on the body which will need filling and sanding.

Hopefully get this bit finished sometime over the weekend, then I can move onto the headstock.

Hey there! Great work with the beveling!! How exactly did you do it? (I am working on the EXA-1 now.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lappa View Post
    How exactly did you do it?

Hi Lappa,

I used a drill with a rasp bit attachment to get the general shape and then went around with the finest grain sandpaper I had (240 I think) to smooth it out.

Still needs some more sanding but I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.

5. Liked by: Lappa

Thank you Marty! Looks awesome. I am curious how it will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Hi Lappa,

I used a drill with a rasp bit attachment to get the general shape and then went around with the finest grain sandpaper I had (240 I think) to smooth it out.

Still needs some more sanding but I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.
    It's looking good! I didn't do a bevel, but used a 5mm round over bit on both front and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    It's looking good! I didn't do a bevel, but used a 5mm round over bit on both front and back.
    Thanks Rabbit. Just doing this with the tools I have available. Was going to bevel the back, but thinking I might go invest in some rollover bits and do that instead. Seems easier, and I should be able to get a more uniform finish.

Your headstock looks awesome by the way. I hope it all stays together when you tune it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Your headstock looks awesome by the way. I hope it all stays together when you tune it up!
    Hehe you and me both!

Last of the sanding done today, its had a coat of primer too.

Primer says 24 hours to dry but it's probably going to be later in the week until I have some time to get the first coat of paint on.

Havnt touched the neck yet.

First coat of primer really showed how awful some of my sanding had been, lots of tidying up needed. Going to get some much finer sandpaper later today.

Although the initial bevel had gone ok, I didn't really like how it looked the same all the way around. So I went around with a rasp and took some more off in some places to give it some more 'shape'.

Got a bit too carried away on the underside of the lower horn (near where it would sit on my leg) and had to use some filler, which i'm now waiting to dry.

Needs another round of sanding, another coat of primer and then I can hopefully I get the first coat of paint on there.

Still no work on the neck or headstock.

12. Liked by: JimC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast