Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilted Tele Build

It is indeed a nitro rattle can. I have just contacted the supplier to see what they reckon. Would the unmixed solvent coming out be caused by not shaking the can enough? I shake the hell outta the things and leave them in the sun for a bit and then shake again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t used aerosol nitro but what you describe is the same as I handle acrylic lacquer.
    I use a gun now which adds control to what goes in as well as what comes out.

I’ll be interested to hear what the paint people say.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

You could try spraying a little nitro into a container, then using a paint brush to see if you can paint over the dots. If it won't take, then it's not the solvent. I haven't done this, but I recall watching a Stew Mac youtube on spraying nitro, and I think it was mentioned that you can spray any leftovers into a container and keep it for touch ups.

“Hi Simon, it’s contaminants on the wood. Glue / oil / silicone . You can’t magically have unmixed solvent in a spray can.”

Is the short and sweet reply that I have gotten from the paint supplier.

Presumably what we’re looking at is glue that had seeped through the veneer. I wouldn’t have thought there’s anything you could do now to remove the glue, but is there any sort of sealer you can put over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Freakystyley View Post
    “Hi Simon, it’s contaminants on the wood. Glue / oil / silicone . You can’t magically have unmixed solvent in a spray can.”

Is the short and sweet reply that I have gotten from the paint supplier.

That was pretty abrupt. What a dick.
    I was obviously very wrong, but FTR my solvent comment was more about it's appearance, not that it was absolutely the issue.

BTW, I'm not having a go at you, I just think the supplier's reply was less than helpful.

I'm not saying the paint guy is wrong either, but I know I have had a bad batch of acrylic lacquer in a spray can before. It may not have been a solvent issue, but it definitely had some kind of contaminant in it that made the finish go wonky.

If you still have some of the paint left in the can, I'd spray some on a clean piece of scrap pine and see how it looks.
    Last edited by McCreed; 09-03-2021 at 05:16 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2