Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSC-1S spalted maple build.

SSC-1S spalted maple build.

Hi all, just arrived today!

First kit, so i was going to keep it simple with stains and oils etc.
    Bit dissatisfied with all the adhesive marks though so i might have to do a dark burst.

I was planning a light yellow/amber one colour to show off the spalting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neck joint is hand tight so happy enough, seems a bit rough around the edges though but its my first kit so i have nothing to base it off.
    Also seems slightly higher on one side but i will do my mock up tomorrow as per the build sticky and go from there.

That's a lovely veneer on there!

And welcome! Love your sceen name too! (made me LOL)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

4. Liked by: chunkosauras

Welcome chunko my LP kit exactly had the same issues around where the neck meets the body. Must be a template issue at the factory. I mated the neck after doing all the necessary checks and then filled those bits with some filler before applying the colour. You can have a read and look here

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...d.php?p=190418

6. Liked by: LachlanM

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Welcome chunko my LP kit exactly had the same issues around where the neck meets the body. Must be a template issue at the factory. I mated the neck after doing all the necessary checks and then filled those bits with some filler before applying the colour. You can have a read and look here

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...d.php?p=190418
    Brilliant, thanks for that!

Neck alignment seems good, just waiting on some crimson stains for the finishing before glueing the neck.

The bridge and tail piece inserts are very loose so thats next to sort.

Also did a basecoat of green mixed from my own pigments then a really light sand to bring out the highlights.

So grain filling is fun. Sanded up to 400 but found a couple of scratches so ill work on those next.
    Crimson as usual are taking their sweet time with deliveries so my stains and oils will be a while.

So after an eternity Crimson finally delivered my stains and oils!
    Dark green to yellow burst was decided on and after a few trial runs i went for it.

24 hours later i used the penetrating oil and as i rubbed it in i started to pull the stain. I did expect this so no biggie.
    After 2 coats i moved to the high build oil and after about three thin coats the stain was still pulling and lightning the colour. I didn’t mind apart from it lifted the dark burst that was hiding the glue marks I couldn’t get out.

In Bens videos he did use the high build pretty liberally but as i have a paper thin veneer i didn’t want to use sandpaper just in case and thought multiple thin coats might work.

The pics are about 9 coats in.

Live and learn!

That is going to look really cool. It has just enough texture to remind you that it's owner is saurian ;-)

Neck set and glued and the finish is mostly done. (Had a bit of a nightmare on the back)
    Hardware done and pickups wired up. Just to make the frets playable now.
    Quite a few that weren’t seated properly but not a hard job. The neck was dead straight as well which was good.

More updates soon and some pics of the back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast