Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: AG-1 Second build

Well, the wiring loom is finished, correctly I hope, using diagrams from PBG and Seymour Duncan, with help from Trevor Davies and WeirdBits. Neck is finished with maple stain, about 20 coats of TruOil, followed by polishing with Meguiars Ultimate. Had to do a little touch-up on the body, so it needed a fresh clear coat. Not wishing to buy another can of Gracey's and wait for it to arrive, I read about Watco Crystal Clear. It brushes or wipes on, thereby avoiding the orange peel problems of the last rattle can session. Supposed to be available at Home Depot, but I could not find it. I did find a product called Deft Clear Wood Finish, spray on. Both contain nitrocellulose (or cellulose nitrate) so no compatibility issues. It went on pretty well, I think. Now I'm just pacing the floor waiting for the clear coat to cure (is 10 days enough??). Then fine sanding again to 2000 grit, polish with Meguiars, assemble it all, and hopefully post a photo of something I feel pretty happy with. If there were no flaws or mistakes, it wouldn't be my work. Thanks to all who have offered encouragement and advice.

Well, she's finished, mostly. Hope to post new photos soon. But, remember Tom Hanks' classic line from the movie, Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does." That hits me right between the eyes. The dummy who built this wasn't watching, and I mounted the strap button on the bottom horn my mistake. Much cursing followed. Now, can anyone suggest an acceptable repair or cover-up for the hole drilled in the bottom horn? That was my only irreparable blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by XP Rider View Post
    Now, can anyone suggest an acceptable repair or cover-up for the hole drilled in the bottom horn? That was my only irreparable blunder.
    Learn to play left handed?

Sorry ;-)

Thanks for that bit of pure Aussie wisdom, Jon. I guess I'll fill or plug it, then dab on a little paint. It will always be a blemish, but at least not an open hole. My work tends to look better from a little distance, anyway.

Well. All finished at last. It's pretty much stock PBG with a graphtech nut and a truss rod cover from Thalia Capos. Was not able to defeat the rattle can orange peel, so I made friends with it, after I got an even coat. After fine sanding and polishing, it has a slightly textured gloss, which I like a lot. It's a little bit unique, which is a good thing on this forum, from what I see. Did not get the neck angle quite right, so the action is a little higher than you might wish, but it plays pretty well, even not too bad up the neck. Don't exactly love the headstock, but that's the way it turned out. It has its flaws, if you look closely, but all in all, given the talent and ability of the builder, it turned out quite alright. I like the way it sounds a lot!
    Well, it's spring in my country. The grass is growing and the horses are shedding winter hair. Probably see y'all in the fall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBGblue-3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	40010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBGblue-1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	40011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBGblue-2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	40012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PBGblue-4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	40013

Hi XP rider.
    She looks great. If it sounds good and you like playing it, then its a winner.
    So we'll see you next fall - you have 6 months to plan your next build! Good luck.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Hi XP rider.
    She looks great. If it sounds good and you like playing it, then its a winner.
    So we'll see you next fall - you have 6 months to plan your next build! Good luck.
    Absolutely agree.
    I like your finish a lot!

Individual and quirky. Plays well. Youre a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Trevor and Sam. I am formulating some ideas for the next winter project, though Mrs. Rider may have some other thoughts. I'm signing off for a while, but hope you all winter well down there. Best.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5