Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: TV

Maybe a bit less pointy on the horn, something like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	38321
    Thats an exact copy of the tail horns though, and I think there would be mileage in making it a bit smaller.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Quote Originally Posted by impala59 View Post
    I would like to make an acoustic telecaster,
    I have a set of mdf moulds for a true acoustic telecaster. I made a start on what was supposed to be going to be a centreblock semi using them, but for some reason that escapes me I made the ribs 3 inches deep, which really means a true acoustic, which I don't really have the skills and design for. Then I got diverted by lockdown, mandolins and 66 bodies, so its all boxed up in the workshop roof waiting for me to decide whether to proceed with a full acoustic or else start again with a new set of ribs that are centreblock thickness.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Personally I prefer the original design, or Jim’s version to the more pointy one. If you are going with a pointy V and may be an assymetrical one like a Jackson Rhoads?
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Following Jims suggestion, I am quite taken with the Mk3, more in keeping with the original plan and retaining the balance I am looking for.
    As far as your 3" semi Jim, I think that would be a really cool project, so different to the usual. it really appeals to my sense of familiar but so different. Sort of midway between solid and acoustic.
    Its quite odd but despite my love of the telecaster, the one I don't get on with is the Thinline, I had one but gave it away, I just didn't like it!. Your potential guitar would/could be full electric but also would have the depth for true acoustic (plus if it works out and you have the mould, you could make another! hint hint (especially as you are not in Oz!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TV (2)round.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	38324  
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

So, still debating with myself over the lower body shape. It is quite important to me to keep the top straight, the V equal and the lower 'waist' section Some thoughts below
    1 original TL lower horn, 2 pointy sg, 3 cropped tele, 4 round 335, 5 cut back round
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvx.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	38347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvx1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	38348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvx2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	38349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvx3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	38350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tvx4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	38351  

Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

They all look wrong to me, with 2 looking least wrong. But it's your guitar, so ignore me and just do what you like the best.

The V-part itself is far stumpier/chunkier than a normal V, which isn't helping matters in my eyes.

I do take your point Simon and the shorter body, I hope will reflect the Tele side of it once the hardware etc is fitted. It is just a bit of fun really and if it all goes pear shaped (now there’s an idea!) then I will salvage the parts and try again. I do value your opinion, thoughts and sense of humour, this site has got me doing stuff I never thought possible. When we can get out playing again, to be able to play something that I made is something that I never thought that I could achieve. I used one of my creations on some tracks that a friend was recording and was more than delighted with my sounds and the playability. I recall making a solid bodied guitar at school, it was an unmitigated disaster, now I am making stuff for friends who want something a little different. Just goes to show, you’re never too old to learn 😁

3, then 1,4,5 & 2.

The SG horn just reminds me of these ugly things....
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

It's probably between 3 and 4 for me.

I think what I am maybe looking for is more internal consistency. The style of the majority of the body is straight line/single radius/straight line/radius. The double curve at the top bout/neck is a bit of an exception, but otherwise it applies except for your lower horns, which all have complex and double curves. So I wonder what it would look like if you made the whole body line/radius, and made the neck joint on the top bout a single radius meeting the neck at 90 degrees, and gave the lower horn short straight sections between the radii?

It's odd, you've got me thinking about body design in a depth I haven't before. It now seems to me that a consistency and flow between the different areas is what is required. Maybe if I'd realised this before my little parlour semi wouldn't have been so goddam ugly! I suppose the other thing I'm realising is that body design is damn difficult.

Another interesting question is how to apply the line/radius/line theme to a headstock. Maybe the double curve on the top bout to neck is right after all if it mirrors a double curve that is pretty much inevitable at the other end of the neck?
    Last edited by JimC; 15-12-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast