Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Monoprice/Stage-Right/Harley Benton 15 watt tube amp

Thanks for explanation on the "extra" tone control Simon.

I wonder if it's a Laney thing? I've had very little experience with their amps. Very much a Fender guy.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I doubt it's a Laney clone. Clones tend not to vary by so much from the original, and the Laney Cub 12 doesn't have that tone control at all.

I forgot that my Two Rock amp also has a similar tone knob - called 'contour'.

So I've currently got three electric guitar amps (out of seven) with that feature.

Did I mention I live in cave????

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Did I mention I live in cave????

Maybe there is more than one Laney 12. I have read that the amp I just got is a clone of the Laney 12r with a few differences, which does have a tone control. Laney had digital reverb, a different speaker and the chassis is mounted so that the controls are on top rather than on the face. On the Stage Right/HB there is a switch to go from 15w to 1w. The Laney replaces the switch with two jacks, one for 15w and the other for 1w. I have also seen defences to them being built by the same plant in China.

I am getting all this from reading. I have never actually seen a Laney 12r. I live in a cave too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201124-091331__01.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	38159

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I looked at a head version (as it was easier to see the knobs), but which turns out to be a super cub 12 and that's why it's very different. Should have looked at the combo!

Yes, the same. The clone will have a solid-state reverb drive section, so quite easy to replace the Laney's reverb chip (though I'd have thought a reverb tank probably cost more than a reverb chip).

The Laney says it has an HH driver (the Ironheart combo also had one and it's not a bad speaker at all) but the Laney website pic shows a Celestion Rocket 50 speaker in it (probably a picture of a prototype) and the HH will certainly be better than that one. In fact it's probably a fair bit better than the Celestion Seventy 80 in the clone. The Rocket and the Seventy 80 are both about the same price in the UK, but form the low-cost end of Celestion speakers. Functional and decent without being outstanding.

I don't really have a standard of comparison in my garage, but the interwebs mostly agree with Simon on the quality of the seventy-80. Not a bad speaker, but not the best around. There are a few people who seem to think that they are great once they are broken in. One guy I found thinks they will always suck. Most seem to think it's not bad, but also not great.

That said, this is the only new valve amp that I have seen in the US for under $250 in the 10-20 Watt range. Really the closest in quality and price is the Laney at about $425...which must be a good price because they seem to be sold out most places. For the difference in price I could replace the Seventy-80 with most of the guitar speakers in either the Celestion or Eminence lines. I could replace it with an Eminence Cannabis Rex or Red Coat and have enough left over to buy a better reverb tank with the difference. If I put in a Celestion Creamback I might not have enough left over for the reverb tank...

...but this is getting ahead of myself.

This is from the amp's user manual:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mp tone.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	38162

re: the Seventy 80's, I used to have a Canadian-made tube amp (Traynor YCV-40T) that came stock with 2 -10" 70/80. I thought they sounded great (at least in this application). At one point I contacted Traynor about their speaker choice and got a personal email back from their R&D guy (who's name was Guy btw ) saying that they had trialled lots of speakers for this model, some way more expensive, but the 70/80's just sounded best with that amp.

...but this is getting ahead of myself.
    It's called "forward thinking" now...

I have a vague memory of Traynor bass heads. Way too pricey for me back then. I grew up in Washington State, so every once in a while Traynor or Yorkville gear would make its way down. Nice stuff by reputation.

Let's hope the speaker in my little amp was as carefully matched ;-)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast