Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tube amp build (s)

I've had a bit of a break from guitar/pedal/amp related activities, but I'm back to working on this amp.

I was mostly held up waiting for tubes at xmas, and then assorted hardware. It was much cheaper to buy all the nuts and bolts in bulk (and now I have heaps spare), but the shipping took forever. So, while I'd hoped to have a crack at this build in my post-xmas holiday, I didn't get the hardware til early feb!

Now I have everything except the faceplates, so I can start wiring it up.

#001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Good to see this back in production.
    Have you made a cabinet for this yet? I can't remember back that far...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Cabinet is high on the list of jobs to attend to before wiring is complete - the studio space is used by the kids all the time, so I don't want the amp sitting out where they could touch it, and don't have anywhere to hide it. So, having a head cabinet to screw it back into when I'm not working on it seems the safest option.

I almost have enough ply just sitting around, but need quite. I also don't have any cabinet hardware, so the plan is to buy a small sheet of ply plus handle, corners, feet and tolex next pay. I don't think it will take long to put together, based on the experience with the 2 x 12 I built. This will be much smaller!
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Don’t forget either some metal vent grille material or some moulded plastic vents. You don’t want it overheating, as valves can put out quite a bit of heat. Keep too much of that inside the head and those electrolytic caps will dry out very quickly.

Oh yes, well spotted. I'm going to put a metal grill on the back, but need a friend to powdercoat it. I was tempted to put side vents in too, but wasn't sure if that was over kill?
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

I’d put a vent at the top and bottom of the rear panel, to allow for natural convection current cooling. Only really need to side vent if you can only fit one vent in the rear. Even then, you’d really want low and high vents. On a bigger valve amp, say 50W+, I’d be thinking about a top vent as well, but rear only should be fine on a 5E3.

I don't think it will take long to put together, based on the experience with the 2 x 12 I built.
    Ahh, that's right! I thought I remembered something somewhere sometime about you and a cabinet!

That did come together quickly and nicely too. (just checked the old thread)

Thanks McCreed! I'm pretty happy with how the cab came out, and definitely happy with the sound.

I think I need to build a 1x12 though - I had to lug the 2x12 up a steep flight of stairs in a warhouse/studio last month and honestly it was terrible, ha ha ha
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

I think I need to build a 1x12 though - I had to lug the 2x12 up a steep flight of stairs in a warehouse/studio last month and honestly it was terrible, ha ha ha
    Yes, one reason I really like my Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb... 10.4kg!
    Plenty loud enough for me, and sounds bloody brilliant.

And who thought a studio on the second floor without a lift was a good idea????

You could always swap out the heavy V30s (4.7kg each) for some neodymium magnet speakers. I like the Celestion Neo Creambacks. Weighs almost nothing in comparison (1.9kg each). Make two 1x 12” cabs and put the V30s in these as they’d be far more manageable. That would make the cab 5.6kg lighter, a considerable weight saving. Though if the cab chassis is really heavy, then you probably wouldn't notice much difference. Just a thought as you’ll probably be buying one new speaker anyway.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast