Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lyn #19 - Single Cut LP Jnr

Well its finally time to start putting her together.

Last job was to shape the break angle. I initially made a shim of about 5 degrees and glued it in place. It was initially too steep so I got about to shave a degree or two off that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2362_1500.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	632.9 KB 
ID:	38499

Unfortunately, like nearly everything else with this guitar I got it wrong. Not sure what the angle ended up, but it is now too shallow and even with the bridge all the way down the action is a little too high. I’ll use it for a while like it is but I will need to take the neck off again and adjust the angle so that I have the action I was after.

Apart from that (and the first body that split in two and the bridge posts being in the wrong place….sheesh) I am really happy how she turned out.

I was aiming for an original ‘57 vibe. And I think that the Satin finish hits the mark. I know, I know, no Gibson would be seen dead with a bolt on neck, but other than spending about $20K for an original, its the closest I’m ever going to get to owning one of my all time favourite guitars.

Name:	IMG_2388_1500.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	476.8 KB 
ID:	38500

Name:	IMG_2374_1500.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	464.9 KB 
ID:	38501

Name:	IMG_2375_1500.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	38502

...... a few more

Name:	IMG_2376_1500.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	401.1 KB 
ID:	38503

Name:	IMG_2369_1500.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	38504

Name:	IMG_2384_1500.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	38505

Name:	IMG_2381_1500.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	583.7 KB 
ID:	38506

Thanks guys

rob

Looks great. Love the burst and the headstock.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Excellent upgrade.
    Certainly looks the part. Much prefer the single cut Jnr. to the double.

Can understand the small margins involved in neck shims also.

cheers, Mark.

@Trevor
    Thanks mate, just got lucky with the burst I think.

@Mark
    Thanks Mark, yep, much prefer the single cut. I always found the double cut an uncomfortable guitar to play standing up as the neck always wanted to head for the floor.

I made the mistake of gluing the shim in the neck pocket. But I was concerned that it was getting so thin that continuing to work on it could damage it. And I had put a fair few hours into it at that stage.

cheers guys
    rob

Despite the neck angle/string action issue, it's a lovely looking guitar. I agree the satin really works for it.
    At least with a screw-fixed neck, you have an easier option of fixing the problem.

FWIW, the two LP-style guitars I have done, are both screw-fixed. I actually prefer that because it gives me options to weird mods like put on a strat or tele neck if I so desired.

I'm actually contemplating doing my first scratch build as LP body with a tele neck. That's as far as I've got though...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

@Colin
    Thanks mate. It sounds amazing. Its ended up being quite heavy so I don't know if that makes a difference but it has sustain for days. Because of it being only a single pickup I bought a good quality Lolar pickup, CTS pots and an Orange Drop cap, and used vintage 50's wiring.

As per Lolar recommendations the Pickup is set quite close to the strings and with volume and tone on full it has a good bight, roll off the tone and it can be smokey smooth. But roll it off too much and it just turns into mud.
    Last edited by robin; 21-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.

@McCreed
    Thanks mate. With all the troubles I had with this one if it had been a set neck it would now be just a wall hanging.

I agree that screw on necks allow numpties like me a fair bit of leeway. I doubt that I will be making a set neck guitar anytime soon.

I'm kinda liking the Gibson scale length too and may try an F type guitar with a G type neck in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post

I'm kinda liking the Gibson scale length too and may try an F type guitar with a G type neck in the future.
    Although they are currently out of stock...
    An 'F' style guitar with a 'G' type scale.
    https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...itar-kit-copy/
    (mine has been the 'go to' since I finished it.)
    cheers, Mark.

FWIW, Warmoth sell "conversion necks" made to fit Fender-sized neck pockets.
    They will fit directly onto a strat or tele without any mucking around with bridge position. However, they're not cheap, especially in AUD.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast