Thread: 2nd Build MM-1F Custom

2nd Build MM-1F Custom

I bought this from the Pitbull seconds & specials. Thought it'd be a bit more challenging for my second build as it's incomplete. The control cavity needs to be routed & the jack & headstock drilled. I'm going to do a 6-inline headstock & use the pickups I didn't use on my first build. It will be 1 volume & 3way switch.

I'm going to finish it with stain & tung oil & try for a satin finish. I did tru oil on my first build which was great but want to have a go at something different. The veneer is really thin so I won't be sanding the top at all, just hope the stain & tung oil work to bring out the maple pattern.

I have a question regarding the bridge. I haven't used this type of bridge before & it doesn't look to line up correctly with the post holes. Should I fill & re-drill the post hole or file a bit of an angle on the front of the bridge where the hole lines up?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Bridge holes do look a bit off. Before you do any drilling I would sort out your headstock holes and temporarily install the high and low e tuners. Then run some normal string down the neck to the bridge and check out how it locates.

I have that bridge on my JM (With different saddles in it now) and it does look like the holes are a bit further apart.

Yours looks like it would still work, but I would do the above before making any changes.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Those holes do look out to me. Even running a straight edge down the neck a couple of mm from the bass edge should give you a good indication where the low E saddle should sit, but I feel that you are going to need to plug and redrill those post holes.