Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reso-T

Reso-T

Having been informed by she who must be obeyed that I will be losing my Garage/Workshop in mid December for an unspecified period, but about a couple of months, due to family soft furnishing storage, I determined to use my power tools whilst I can and rough out my future builds. Mainly in my head at this time, there are a few that I shall document and then I can do my finishing work indoors, (she has agreed small works but no power tools in the kitchen) Number one of this series is the Reso-T, basically a slightly jumbo Tele with a resonator, single coil in the neck position and piezo on the cone. I have a Regal Resonator acoustic and have had some success with piezo pickups when recording.
    I started with some seasoned pine, glued the 3 pieces and clamped. I drew the shape, (later modifying to give me some more meat). I measured the 25.5 scale length with my chosen maple neck loosely clamped in place. I worked out the position for the cone, spider and cover. The extra wood on the rear will permit me to use a hardtail string anchor. (I have had problems with the regal trapeze anchor. The other issue with my Regal is the intonation, Resonators traditionally use a maple fixed bridge, a bit of engineering needed!
    I levelled the wood bridge supports on the spider and drilled either side to enable a tunomatic bridge to be used. I tapped the holes to M4 and fitted machine screws. I fitted brass bushes to the bridge holes that gave me a snug fit on the M4 screws. I drilled a centre hole in the bridge and filed slightly the D and G saddle sides so as to enable an allen key to be inserted once the guitar is assembled to adjust the cone tension (it was originally a cross head screw, substituted now for an M3 machine screw. I still have some tweaking to do on the bridge/spider assembly, including replacing the nuts with knurled height adjusters.
    I have started some body shaping while still clamped (impatient!) and the alignment all looks to be ok (at this time) My plan at the moment is for an Aluminium back to this guitar to assist with the reflected tones. This will also enable me to run the electrics as and where needed as the back will be screwed on. Probably going for simple 3 way switching 1V 1T, I may need a pre-amp on the piezo, but getting ahead of myself there.
    As previously stated I will do the rough work on this one then put it aside to finish later

reso (1).JPG (110.2 KB)
    reso (2).JPG (155.9 KB)
    reso (3).JPG (98.4 KB)
    reso (4).JPG (120.7 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (1).JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	38105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (2).JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	38106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (3).JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	38107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (4).JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	38108  
    Last edited by impala59; 23-11-2020 at 03:06 AM.
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

reso (5).JPG (95.8 KB)
    reso (6).JPG (101.2 KB)
    reso (7).JPG (63.4 KB)
    reso (8).JPG (90.0 KB)
    reso (9).JPG (156.6 KB)

Name:	reso (6).JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	38110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (5).JPG 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	38109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (7).JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	38111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (8).JPG 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	38112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (9).JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	38113  

Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

reso (10).JPG (122.8 KB)
    reso (11).JPG (123.6 KB)
    reso (12).JPG (94.6 KB)
    reso (13).JPG (110.8 KB)

Name:	reso (10).JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	38114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (11).JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	38115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (12).JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	38116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reso (13).JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	38117  

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Oooohhh.. This is a nutty one!
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Interesting build. I'd like to know how resonator like it sounds with the metal bridge, as a wooden bridge is normally seen as a fundamental part of the sound.

I actually have a brass bridge (single piece that should be a two piece to allow for tensioning) in my Regal and together with a brass nut for open tunings, it firstly allows me to use lighter gauge strings and moves the tone toward the all metal types. I’ve had the old Regal for years, as my only acoustic, it does everything that I want.

nutty!🤪🤪🤪 I can live with that Sonic!

Here's my Regal, a parlour. Not sure of the exact age, but definitely post-WW2 (from the original Kluson tuner patent number), but probably no later than 48 when they are supposed to have stopped making them. I've had the back off as all the struts needed re-gluing, and as a result it's now got a new nitro clear finish over the top of the touch-up work, and new Kluson strip tuners as the originals were too worn to hold tune.

The bridge could do with a deeper saddle slot and a new saddle to match, as it is a shallow rout and the saddle is leaning forwards a bit. But it plays OK given that it's got no truss rod (at least no adjustable one but the neck is pretty chunky so I assume there's none at all). It sounds OK, if not remarkable. These were cheap guitars and weren't made with the best tonewoods. A better bridge/saddle arrangement and I think it could sound a bit better. Just need to get the courage to attack it with the Dremel router.

8. Liked by: dave.king1

That is a lovely looking instrument Simon. When I needed to do some routing recently on a friend’s acoustic bridge, I built up a platform around it using scrap ply and double sided tape, then made a template to guide the dremel rout cage. Lots of prep but no tear out or tears 😭! Slow shallow cuts with sharp tools and I got away with it, but is was scary though!

This is my old Regal, not an antique but mine from new for the last 30 years or so. When about 5 years old it was attacked by my old rescue greyhound and the headstock broke clean off. I tried a dollop of outdoor Resin W just before I binned it and its still with me today. The only mods are a brass nut and bridge, it holds tune forever and I run it on 10's for comfort. Loud and jangly, not worth a lot but I will never sell it.
    regal.JPG (149.4 KB)
    I managed a bit more hacking at the T body to get a rough shape, still quite a bit to remove though. I routed the neck pocket, neck pickup and rebate for the cone. Set up a rough assembly to check centre line and scale length, I have 25.5 at the high E which saddle is forward in the bridge, so happy with that. Centre line is ok. Just using cotton, the action at the 12th fret is high (about 3/16ths inch) but that will change with strings as they compress the cone under tension. I will probably have to actually raise the bridge when stringing up.
    I have been doing a bit of research and have found many people on youtube don't really understand these instruments, one 'luthier' actually screwed the cone to the guitar!
    Having said that I am breaking many rules with this one and we will see if I get away with it. Its fun though and not too expensive if it all goes pear shaped!
    Pic shows current state next to my (for Frankie) Seafoam Snakehead for scale comparison. Incidentally. I picked up the Seafoam Tele while in the US last year for $99 brand new and can't fault it
    snhres.JPG (135.1 KB)

Name:	regal.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	38196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snhres.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	38197  

11. Liked by: dave.king1

Nice Regal. Definitely a working guitar rather than anything too fancy.

Reso-T is coming along nicely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast