Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New cab day - Laney 4 x 12

New cab day - Laney 4 x 12

Our house became the unexpected recipient of this cab today - a friend was giving it away, and because he had inherited it as a kid and played it through school he wanted it to go to a house with kids who would do the same.

It came late afternoon, so we haven't had a chance to play it yet (neighbours are moving in this evening and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot straight away, ha ha)

Last edited by JohnH; 22-11-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

A nice ‘little’ surprise there.

Do you know what drivers it’s fitted with? Like Marshall, Laney have normally had two or three ranges of cabs to make up the low, medium and higher cost brackets, with increasing quality of the drivers fitted and the thickness of cab construction. That looks to have a pretty solid construction to me.

Impedance rating also tends to go hand in hand with the range level, as the 8 ohm cabs were normally designed to go with the solid state range of amps (as two cabs gave you 4 ohms for maximum amp volume), whereas 16 ohms were for their valve amps.

Not actually sure - I'll take the back off tomorrow and have a look. It has a selector on the back that has options for stereo or either 4 or 16 ohm mono, but will have to wait to open it up to find out what the speakers and construction are like.

It's certainly solid, and large! It's missing it's castors (or feet? I just assumed castors), so I'll replace those at some point to make it easier to move around
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

@ JohnH Nice score!!!, you can buy castors at your local Bunnings shed, they have some pretty nice ones in stock that feature a handy little brake-lever, if you do end up buying some from Bunnings, buy some wood screws as well, they stock packs of 25,50, and 100 screws.

It looks pretty solid enough, the cab is probably made from something like 3/4 Birch Ply, at a guess, but I could be wrong, should sound great.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 23-11-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Good thinking Doc, I'll have a look next weekend.

It's definitely 3/4" ply - a small piece of tolex is lifting on the back, so you can see the ply underneath.

It's massive overkill for the kids at the minute, ha ha
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Good thinking Doc, I'll have a look next weekend.

It's definitely 3/4" ply - a small piece of tolex is lifting on the back, so you can see the ply underneath.

It's massive overkill for the kids at the minute, ha ha

My Fender Super Twin and it's Ashton 4 X 12 cab is most likely overkill too....lol.

But you have to admit, nothing looks cooler than an amp head sitting on a big 4 X 12 cab.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    But you have to admit, nothing looks cooler than an amp head sitting on a big 4 X 12 cab.
    Apart from one sitting on two 4x12" cabs.

My biggest rig (by size) was my Marshall Jubilee 'mini' 50W head and two 4x10" cabs, with the head a custom order in black (not the normal silver) via Andertons, in order to match the 4x10" cab I already had (and the other cab I ordered at the same time).

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    My biggest rig (by size) was my Marshall Jubilee 'mini' 50W head and two 4x10" cabs, with the head a custom order in black (not the normal silver) via Andertons, in order to match the 4x10" cab I already had (and the other cab I ordered at the same time).
    There's also something about matching cabs and heads that you just can't go past tbh.
    #002 (WL-1)
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

'The TGS Special'

The 4x10"s certainly didn't have the output volume or bass response of a 4x12", but they were manageable and I could easily get both of them them in the back of my smallish hatchback along with the amp guitar and pedals etc. I just wish I had a photo of the rig, but you rarely took photos of things like that back in those days (1987).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast