Thread: Refurb of Lyn #12

Refurb of Lyn #12

Now that I have finished all my new projects, and I can’t afford any new kits I thought it time to revisit some of my earlier builds.

First to get the treatment was my first scratch built body the “Pine Tele – Lyn #12”
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ight=pine+tele

The fretboard was pretty filthy so I thought as she was dismantled I would clean it up a bit. The grime was so ingrained that I lifted the TruOil finish trying to remove all the rubbish. So I sanded back the fretboard and re-applied the TO.

Next, I sanded down the body to bare wood to attempt a hand rubbed Green/Black burst with wood dye/stain.

As everybody (except me) knows the first step is to apply the green stain, leave it overnight, let it dry and then apply the black…….WRONG!! I learnt the hard way that to do a burst you have to work the colours together WHILE THEY ARE WET…..Duh!

Sanding, sanding, try again the right way. It wasn’t too ugly so I called it a success.

I finished it off with about 20 coats of TO then going through the grits 1200, 1600, 2000 and then the micro mesh. At this stage I usually bring the gloss home with Brasso but I kind of like the Satin finish and left it at than. I’m glad I did because the finish has really grown on me.

Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009 (2)_1500.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	38075

After

Name:	IMG_E2280_1500.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	492.1 KB 
ID:	38076

Name:	IMG_E2281_1500.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	446.4 KB 
ID:	38077

Name:	IMG_E2282_1500.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	482.0 KB 
ID:	38078

Name:	IMG_E2221_1500.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	38079

Cheers guys
    rob
    Last edited by robin; 21-11-2020 at 08:04 AM.

That is super cool. I really dig that finish

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The original #12 build was before my time here, but I went through the diary (mostly the photos) and that's a very clever build. Nicely done.

The green/black burst looks good, but I'm torn between that and the natural as to which I like best! You're happy, so that's what counts!

I'm also in a "no new builds" holding pattern and just going back over a few previous models, and doing some mods & re-imaginings!
    I find it equally satisfying and each one has presented different problem solving to achieve my desired outcomes.
    Plus, the time I spend not building, is time I now spend playing the dang things! How's that for a novel concept - actually playing them!

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I really dig that new colour
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

@fender
    Thanks mate, first time for a satin finish for me, but not the last. I'm just about to start work on another Refurb and that will be a satin finish also.

@McCreed
    Yeah I was in two minds myself about it, but was desperate to do something so thought I'd give it a go. To be honest the pine looked a bit plain and the stain has bought out the grain more than I thought it would.

Playing our guitars?? Now that's a novel idea!

@JohnH and colin2121
    Thanks guys. Means a lot to me.