Thread: First tube amp build (5E3)

First tube amp build (5E3)

I've always been terrified of tube amp voltages, but over the past year I've done a lot of reading and have talked to a few people who have built amps or who work as techs and finally decided to give it a shot.

I'm basically building a 5E3 from the mojotone instructions, but sourcing all the parts myself. I did some calculations and I think it will basically cost the same either way, but the difference for me is that I find it very hard to save a chunk of cash, but can budget for small spends each fortnight.

So, even though the postage costs rack up quickly, at least this way I know I'll end up with all the bits over a couple of months!

Most of the parts have been ordered, apart from the transformers and the tubes (I think I actually have some tubes I can use already, but will have to check my stash).

The plan is to build a head unit, so I can use leftover ply from my cab build, and there's no need to buy a speaker. I have lots of black tolex left over, but am kind of tempted to just buy a little bit of an ivory tolex for the head.

I'm also going to buy a variac and a better soldering station, and build a light bulb current limiter and a cap discharge tool.

I hope it will give me a good project for the xmas holidays, and will definitely post progress pics
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Nice choice, if you start a build thread in the Amplifiers section I'll definitely be following it, if you need any help feel free to ask me.

I didn't even realise there was an amplifier section! Even though looking at it now I've read heaps of the threads over there. Bugger, ha ha
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'