Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Peavey 410 TX 4X10 Inch Bass Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I see that the guy who did the mod had already removed the tweeter (which seems to be universally considered as a bad unit) so you are really letting the drivers work as full range units and providing more treble. 800Hz is the common centre EQ frequency used by most bass amp with a single mid control, so 3.5kHz and above is really letting the low/mid treble back through that the HF driver won’t be providing. That Eminence driver looks to be giving useful output up to about 5kHz, after which it drops down quite quickly, so removing the crossover and the HF driver will make that treble available from the 10” drivers.

The bass and mid controls on guitar amps are normally up an octave from those on bass amps, plus your amp’s are just subtractive, so you may find a bass graphic EQ pedal (or a wider range pedal with more bands than say a Boss guitar graphic pedal has), useful in sculpting your bass sound.

Hmmmm....I thought that the footswitchable EQ in my Fender Super Twin both boosted and cut frequencies, I do understand that the typical 3-Band tone controls in a Fender amp only cuts frequencies, and yes you're right, the tone controls on a guitar amp are normally voiced an octave above a bass amp's tone controls, maybe I might get some good results if I switch the Super Twin's EQ on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Hmmm, Seems my cab is a bit smaller, but not by much.

Mine is roughly 62cm x 62cm x 39cm. And nil fancy connector plate, just a simple molded metal plate large enough for two connectors and held in with 6 screws . Also my cab is covered with black marine carpet all over the top sides and back hence the measurement inaccuracy. Front is just painted black with the grill.

I doubt the minor size difference in the cabs would affect how it sounds with diff drivers too much. If it were me I'd be disconnecting that control and getting a nice new set of Eminence Legend drivers for your cab.
    It could be that I'm not accounting for the covering material which would be adding to the dimension measurements, but when I made the measurements I tried to be as accurate as I possibly could, the stock speakers don't really give much info on what model they are, it just says Peavey on them.

Roughly 12% more internal volume than Marcel's then, which is not insignificant when looking at bass cab tuning. And the port size could be different. So I'd be a bit wary.

I'd enter the TS parameters for the Eminence into a cab calculator, and add the cab internal volume and port details into it and see what the results look like, and compare that to an ideal cab selection for the speakers.
    That may actually be the best thing for me to do, first find out the internal volume in liters, then find the Thiele-Small parameters, then do the math, something I've never done before but I like a bit of a challenge, might even learn something from it too.

https://peavey.com/manuals/80301559.pdf

Cabinet is 3/4" plywood, so you can generally use the external dimensions and take off 1.5"/3.8cm from all of those to get the internal dimensions. Note that the front baffle is set back from the front, so you need to take that into account as well when considering the front to back dimension.

The spec sheet says it's tuned for 40Hz, though that will be with the stock speakers. Which are hard to track down definitively but highly likely it's a Peavey Sheffield 1035-8. The 75W RMS rating (x 4) matches the cab's rated handling if you add in 50W for the tweeter.

Peavey Sheffield TVX 1035-8 10" 300 Watts Peak 8 Ohm Bass Speakers (493620):
    10"
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Power capacity: 300 W Peak 150 W Program 75 W Continuous
    Sensitivity: 89.1 dB 1 Watt / 1 meter
    Usable frequency range: 60 Hz ~ 4 kHz
    Cone: Kevlar« impregnated cellulose
    Voice coil diameter: 1.75" / 44.4 mm
    Voice coil material: 2 layers, thermally bonded copper wire Kapton former Nomex« stiffener
    Net weight lb. / kg: 7.4 lbs. / 3.4 kg
    Znom (ohms) 8
    Revc (ohms) 5.88
    Sd (Square Meters) 0.335
    BL (T/M) 9.37
    Fo (Hz) 49.3
    Vas (liters) 38.7
    Cms (uM/N) 243.5
    Mms (gm) 42.80
    Qms 4.03
    Qes 0.880
    Qts 0.720
    Xmax (mm) 3.5
    Le (mH) 0.14
    SPL (1W 1m) 89.1
    No (%) 0.50%
    Vd (cu. in. / ml) 7.1 / 117
    Pmax (Watts pgm.) 150
    Disp (cu. in. / ml) 83 / 1360

Confirmed Fit Guide:

Peavey 410TX
    Peavey 210TX
    Peavey Combo 210TX
    Peavey 810TX
    Peavey T-Max 210
    Peavey Classic 810TX
    Peavey Classic 410TX
    Peavey 210TXR
    Peavey Combo 210TX
    Peavey 210TXF
    Peavey 410TXF 8 Ohm
    Peavey 210TVX
    Peavey 410TVX 8 Ohm
    Peavey 810TVX

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    That may actually be the best thing for me to do, first find out the internal volume in liters, then find the Thiele-Small parameters, then do the math, something I've never done before but I like a bit of a challenge, might even learn something from it too.
    Definitely worth doing. Not always easy to understand the results but you can post them here if you aren't sure.

Definitely worth doing. Not always easy to understand the results but you can post them here if you aren't sure.
    Will do mate, if I get stuck I'll know who to ask, I really appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread so far.....cheers!!!!

If there's anyone else who want's to contribute, please feel free to do so.

Not that Jim or I fully understand, but we have a bit of knowledge.

You both sound more knowledgeable about speaker cab design than what I know about speaker cab design, I'm still a bit of a novice.

It's more like we're on page 2 of the book when you haven't started reading it yet.

It's more like we're on page 2 of the book when you haven't started reading it yet.

For me, I basically know how to wire up the speakers so they are phased correctly and work properly, and that's more or less it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast