Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Peavey 410 TX 4X10 Inch Bass Cab

Ideally the quoted cab resonance would be independent of the speaker, but unfortunately you never really know when it comes to numbers once/whether marketing have been at them... The resulting performance is from the interaction of the drivers and the enclosure. My first insight into how complex this stuff gets was at school when I learned (A level project) that the design of the cabinet affects the impedance of the speaker (which is anything but constant but varies hugely with frequency)! I've since learned that the impedance of the cabinet affects the performance of the amplifier, both in a coarse manner (watts output varies with impedance, impedance varies with frequency so amp power output varies with frequency even before you get to how many dbs you get per watt at different frequencies) and also in all sorts of more subtle ways that I fail to grasp properly.

But in my old day job of IT infrastructure there was a mantra - broken networks work - meaning that a computer network can be riddled with issues degrading performance, efficiency etc, but still function after a fashion, and its true of bass cabs too. Lousy cabs still produce sound. And what was available when I started playing bass decades ago was, by and large, **** poor! But then what is good sound anyway? By and large we don't want the precise vibration pattern produced by the strings to be replicated in the audience's ears!
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Update:

I just had a talk to the guy who's selling the Peavey 410 TX bass cab to me, and he said that I have finished paying the money for it, so it is officially mine.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4