Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavey 410 TX 4X10 Inch Bass Cab

Peavey 410 TX 4X10 Inch Bass Cab

Hey Everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a second-hand Peavey 410 TX 4X10 Inch Bass Cab from a friend of mine, I'm buying it for use as part of a bass rig with my Fender Super Twin amp, I've done some testing and as far as I know it just needs a complete set of replacement speakers to get it working again, it could also do with a good clean-out while I'm at it, should be a good project for next year.

The bass cab is rated for a maximum of 700 Watts into 8 ohms, so if I wire-up the new speakers in a series/parallel configuration, each speaker needs to be able to handle 1/4 of 700 Watts, or at least 175 Watts by my calculations.

Here's a couple of pics of the bass cab:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 1_resized.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	37985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 2_resized.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	37986  

Sounds like a great project! Have you got any plans for what speakers you will put in?
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Sounds like a great project! Have you got any plans for what speakers you will put in?
    Not currently, but I'm going to see if I can find replacements that are close-enough to the originals, what would you suggest?

There's a chance that I might be able to salvage the originals and get them working again if the voice-coils haven't all been burnt-out, I checked with my multimeter and got a reading of about 32M Ohms, which is clearly an open-circuit in my book, it should read roughly about 8 Ohms or so.

I'm guessing that it is actually a bass cab for a P.A. system, it has a 3500Hz crossover circuit board in it, but, I can't see why it couldn't be re-purposed for use as part of a bass rig.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 15-11-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Not currently, but I'm going to see if I can find replacements that are close-enough to the originals, what would you suggest?
    I have no clue when it comes to bass speakers. I spent ages reading up on 12" guitar speakers, but in the end it felt like it was all so subjective the reviews didn't amount to much anyway
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

The wooden box itself has no rating, so you can fit whatever rated speaker you want and the cab rating will be 4 x whatever the speaker rating is. This will give you a lot more flexibility in driver choice. I’d suggest each driver be rated at least at 100W, for a minimum 400W cab rating, as your amp will produce well over 200W if driven hard, probably nearer 350W if distorting. The ear is less sensitive to bass frequencies than mids, so you need more watts to drive the speakers to get the same apparent volume. So you’ll probably find that you have to turn up the amp a lot more than you normally would.

The driver impedance is also your choice. Peavey chose 8 ohms because it was designed to work with their transistor bass amps, and an 8 ohm 4x10” cab and an 8 ohm 1x15” cab would provide a 4 ohm load for the bass amp, giving maximum power output for the amp (compared to an 8 ohm or 16 ohm load). Used with a valve amp, the impedance rating doesn’t really matter as long as there’s a tap for it on the amp’s output transformer.

95% of bass amps are solid state, so almost all bass cabs will be 8 ohm rated to give 4 ohms when paired with another cab. So 8 ohms would be a good choice if you plan to add another standard bass cab and you don’t plan to swap out the speaker. But 16 ohms is a slightly better choice for a valve amp speaker, as you could then pair it with say a 16 ohm Marshall 4x12” cab.

Driver frequency response needs to be considered as 10” speakers can be very mid-biased. Your amp has passive tone controls, unlike a solid state bass amp which will have active tone controls, so whilst you can cut mids and treble, you can’t boost the bass to make up for a lack of response if the driver’s frequency response isn’t great at bass frequencies. So compare the frequency graphs and think about the response around the 40-80Hz region, where the bass fundamentals will be and compare them to the mid response levels. The bigger the difference, the more mid-forward and boxy it will sound.

It’s not a PA cab, it’s definitely a bass amp cab. The crossover is there for the centrally mounted HF tweeter. That may be a piezo unit, a compression driver or even a small diameter standard driver. There's often an on/off switch for that or maybe a level control. Something you’d want out of circuit if you ever used the cab for guitar used with distortion, and you’d then want the crossover out of the signal path completely.

If you want to have it a dual purpose bass/guitar cab you’d be better off removing the crossover and disconnecting the HF driver, (maybe remove that too and blank off the hole). Unless you are playing a lot of slap bass or a lot of high notes, then you won’t notice the loss. It’s not something you need for rock/blues bass as long as there’s no crossover dropping off the high-end. 10” speakers have a reasonable HF response, certainly compared to 15” or 12” speakers.

The cab doesn't appear to be ported at the front, so unless there’s a rear port, there’s no need to consider the TS parameters fir tuning and getting a speaker that closely matches the originals. If there is, then you’ll probably want to get the same drivers if possible, though that may prove to be expensive.

Do you know the cab model ref, as the literature may give a frequency response, which will indicate how good an all-round cab it is, or whether it really was mid-biased and should be used with a 1x15” to fill out the bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The wooden box itself has no rating, so you can fit whatever rated speaker you want and the cab rating will be 4 x whatever the speaker rating is. This will give you a lot more flexibility in driver choice. I’d suggest each driver be rated at least at 100W, for a minimum 400W cab rating, as your amp will produce well over 200W if driven hard, probably nearer 350W if distorting. The ear is less sensitive to bass frequencies than mids, so you need more watts to drive the speakers to get the same apparent volume. So you’ll probably find that you have to turn up the amp a lot more than you normally would.

The driver impedance is also your choice. Peavey chose 8 ohms because it was designed to work with their transistor bass amps, and an 8 ohm 4x10” cab and an 8 ohm 1x15” cab would provide a 4 ohm load for the bass amp, giving maximum power output for the amp (compared to an 8 ohm or 16 ohm load). Used with a valve amp, the impedance rating doesn’t really matter as long as there’s a tap for it on the amp’s output transformer.

95% of bass amps are solid state, so almost all bass cabs will be 8 ohm rated to give 4 ohms when paired with another cab. So 8 ohms would be a good choice if you plan to add another standard bass cab and you don’t plan to swap out the speaker. But 16 ohms is a slightly better choice for a valve amp speaker, as you could then pair it with say a 16 ohm Marshall 4x12” cab.

Driver frequency response needs to be considered as 10” speakers can be very mid-biased. Your amp has passive tone controls, unlike a solid state bass amp which will have active tone controls, so whilst you can cut mids and treble, you can’t boost the bass to make up for a lack of response if the driver’s frequency response isn’t great at bass frequencies. So compare the frequency graphs and think about the response around the 40-80Hz region, where the bass fundamentals will be and compare them to the mid response levels. The bigger the difference, the more mid-forward and boxy it will sound.

It’s not a PA cab, it’s definitely a bass amp cab. The crossover is there for the centrally mounted HF tweeter. That may be a piezo unit, a compression driver or even a small diameter standard driver. There's often an on/off switch for that or maybe a level control. Something you’d want out of circuit if you ever used the cab for guitar used with distortion, and you’d then want the crossover out of the signal path completely.

If you want to have it a dual purpose bass/guitar cab you’d be better off removing the crossover and disconnecting the HF driver, (maybe remove that too and blank off the hole). Unless you are playing a lot of slap bass or a lot of high notes, then you won’t notice the loss. It’s not something you need for rock/blues bass as long as there’s no crossover dropping off the high-end. 10” speakers have a reasonable HF response, certainly compared to 15” or 12” speakers.

The cab doesn't appear to be ported at the front, so unless there’s a rear port, there’s no need to consider the TS parameters fir tuning and getting a speaker that closely matches the originals. If there is, then you’ll probably want to get the same drivers if possible, though that may prove to be expensive.

Do you know the cab model ref, as the literature may give a frequency response, which will indicate how good an all-round cab it is, or whether it really was mid-biased and should be used with a 1x15” to fill out the bottom end.

As it just so happens, the Peavey 410 TX bass cab does indeed have a bass port on the back of it, I'm not sure what it's model ref is, I'll have to leave it till the morning to find out, will post it here if/when I do.

I have a couple of these from The Speaker Factory in a 4 ohm setup and they are brilliant

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B102.pdf

It's worth reiterating that when it comes to bass rigs it doesn't matter how good the drivers are if they are in the wrong cab. Worse still if the cab is wrong enough you can blast the cones across the room with just a fraction of the rated power.

Basically you have two choices. One is to get a set of original drivers, and the second is to modify the cab to suit the new drivers. This isn't quite as big a deal as it might be since the total volume is hopefully going to be reasonable, so it's just a question of altering the porting.

One other thought though, in these days a 4x10 is usually overkill, and they are also horribly directional. You might want to consider whether this cab would be better broken up for the fittings - could be pushing a coupla hundred dollars new with the grill - and build yourself a custom 2 x 10 cabinet, maybe using one of eminence' own published designs, which would be cheaper with just two drivers, less bulky and generally a better job all round. A left field compromise would be 3 x 10 mounted vertically which has much less directionality than 4 in a square. 3 16 ohm drivers is near enough 4 ohms impedance, it being a very approximate measurement.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Thanks Doc for answering a question that has dogged me for the past few years.

I bought a 4x10 cab off a needy bass player a few years back for little more than what one 10" driver would cost, and my unmarked cab looks identical to yours so now I know it is a Peavey cab. At the time of purchase he said it was a 400W cab and it was clearly visible from the front that it was loaded with Eminence drivers so I had little hesitation in buying it. Later I discovered the drivers are Eminence Legends.

I use a TCE BH-250 head with it and after replacing the damaged plug on the back to a speakon it has performed flawlessly. I attached a set of dolly wheels to aid maneuverability and put a 4" fan grill over the port on the back to lower the risk of items dropping inside the cab (as is the habit of walking toddlers). The BH-250 is plenty for my purposes, with my main thing being I just want to be able to hear my bass builds at a somewhat reasonable volume

It is not the loudest cab around. It is more than enough for a band rehearsal and practice, probably loud enough for a small bar or club, but it would be stretched in a beer garden or large room. Those Eminence drivers are the bomb, Nice clean strong bottom end with plenty of top end clarity so rock/punk/metal or slap bass is nil drama.

Never have tried the rig with a regular guitar, yet I suspect it would work reasonably well in a pinch.

A bit later on today, I'm going to remove the front speaker grill from the Peavey 410TX bass cab so I can remove one of the speakers so I can have a good look at it, while I'm at it, I'll grab my tape measure and measure the outside dimensions of the cab itself, will also post some pics of the back panel as well.

@ Marcel No worries at all mate.

I should add that I'm mainly interested in using the bass cab for bass guitar amplification purposes, I compared the circuit diagram for my Fender Super Twin amp with the one for the Fender Super Bass amp, and to all intents and purposes they are practically the same with some very minor component differences, and from my experience the Super Twin seems to work fine if used as a bass amp, interestingly, when Fender released the original 4 X 10 Tweed Bassman, it was originally intended as a bass guitar amplifier, guitarists soon learnt that it also worked great as a guitar amp, and was used as a design reference by Marshall for the design of their first Marshall JTM45 amplifiers back in 1962 or so.

I just found this interesting forum thread:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/pea...eplace.951832/

Okay, here we go, the outside dimensions of the Peavey 410TX bass cab are as follows:

Width = 615mm.

Depth = 435mm.

Height = 625mm.

All the speakers are indeed 10 inch in diameter, the cab itself seems to be made out of 20mm particle board, or, it could be 20mm plywood, hard to tell.

Some more pics of the cab:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 3_resized.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	37990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 4_resized.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	37991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peavey Bass Cab 5_resized.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	213.1 KB 
ID:	37992  
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 16-11-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast