Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Artist Oil Paints For Staining. Question Re: turps

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just a technical note, but by using oil paints, you are really painting the guitar, not staining it.
    True Simon. Will combine paint and stain and come up with a new word for the process..."pain" will work..

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    True Simon. Will combine paint and stain and come up with a new word for the process..."pain" will work..
    Budda-bump Tishhhhhh!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi Rodc,
    It would be interesting to see a photo of your results. I paint with artists oil paints. The medium or vehicle is raw linseed oil except for whites which are Safflower oil. As Sonic Mountain mentioned, they have a slower drying time than most paint. But some are quite quick depending on the pigment and how loaded with pigment the oil paint is. Boiling linseed oil speeds up the drying time. The pigments in oil paint will stain raw wood. On unprepared surfaces the oil will separate from some of the pigment.

Quote Originally Posted by markkrom View Post
    Hi Rodc,
    It would be interesting to see a photo of your results. I paint with artists oil paints. The medium or vehicle is raw linseed oil except for whites which are Safflower oil. As Sonic Mountain mentioned, they have a slower drying time than most paint. But some are quite quick depending on the pigment and how loaded with pigment the oil paint is. Boiling linseed oil speeds up the drying time. The pigments in oil paint will stain raw wood. On unprepared surfaces the oil will separate from some of the pigment.
    Will do Mark, I'll get some photos today.

Quote Originally Posted by markkrom View Post
    Hi Rodc,
    Hi Mark, the SG style guitar in the middle was my first and I used Dingotone.
    The ex guitar is Ash and I used a black grain filler for that. Mixed 3 different colours to get the brown reddish colour. The back is grain filled black with tru oil. The 335 style guitar my son wanted a faded denim look. We experimented on some 3 ply pine to get what he wanted. The top was pretty ordinary. Had a rub through from factory and a small ding in the same spot. About 6 decent glue spots I didn't find until I started staining. The back is I think burnt timber, which is a dark brown mixed with black. No grain fill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1969.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	38471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1968.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	740.7 KB 
ID:	38470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1965.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	560.0 KB 
ID:	38469  

7. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Wow, rod! Those are some really nice colours.
    Despite your problems with the ES, that colour works to really nice effect. It truly looks like faded denim to me!

I'd certainly consider artist oil paints as a viable finish option now. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Wow, rod! Those are some really nice colours.
    Despite your problems with the ES, that colour works to really nice effect. It truly looks like faded denim to me!

I'd certainly consider artist oil paints as a viable finish option now. Good work.
    Thanks McCreed. Bit of experimenting but you can't go wrong really finishing with Tru Oil. Because of the heat wave and humidity here after 12 coats of tru oil I put another 20 on 50/50 turps. The Tru oil warmed the blue up as well. That's what we were hoping for when we mixed the colour..

The Tru oil warmed the blue up as well. That's what we were hoping for when we mixed the colour..
    I seem to have missed that it was finished with Tru Oil.
    There have been numerous posts about Tru Oil over blues turning them green over time.
    As far as I know, they have been deeper hues of blue though, so maybe your lighter shade will be ok.
    Just thought I'd mention it.

Yes I read the same thing McCreed. I’m thinking with the lighter colour as you said it should be ok. With the trial pieces I try adding more linseed oil then adjusted the colour to suit. Touch wood, pardon the pun it should be stabilised..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast